The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Defining racism > Comments

Defining racism : Comments

By Anthony Dillon, published 9/3/2012

Is a law racist just because it affects one race more than others, or must there be other elements?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 32
  7. 33
  8. 34
  9. Page 35
  10. 36
  11. All
Loudmouth,
you cherry pick what Anthony has said. You transfer some form of illogical view onto what I have said.

As you are fully aware, I am sure, the issue in contention is not about whether it is good that Indigenous Australians claim victim status, or if they have a positive way of coping with racism. Anthony refuses to accept that racism is a lived reality for many Indigenous Australians.

Racism can be internalised, and this is where Anthony's early work is very useful in helping victims become challengers and non-accepters of racism, but first it has to be acknowledged that racism exists. Racism is insidious and has many negative flow on effects that have been studied and documented internationally. Anthony rejects this work.

Anthony's stance places the full onus on Indigenous Australians as being so foolish as to believe racism exists - it is all their fault. This is a typical neo-con view favoured by Bolt and co, but it does nothing to challenge or address the issue of how racism by mainstream Australians continue to negatively affect Indigenous Australians.

By refusing to accept research by the likes of the AMA (Australian Medical Assoc) that found racism was the most likely cause of Indigenous Australians receiving far less intervention for cardiac health. This research shocked the researchers and the AMA as they expected to find lifestyle etc. For Anthony to dismiss such research is a poor reflection on his academic ability.

Alternatively he just likes to belittle Indigenous people's research, putting his own view forward as the ultimate truth.

While rejecting significant research literature Anthony does not put forward any evidence to support his stance - relying on his assertion alone.

Lets face it Loudmouth you know nothing about my research, or the work I do regarding promoting health and well-being. My work has been peer-reviewed by Indigenous colleagues. I am very comfortable with my identity and the positive work I do - it certainly does not promote victim-hood, that is a figment of your imagination

I am old enough to growl at sloppy work.
Posted by Aka, Tuesday, 3 April 2012 12:41:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aka

"but first it has to be acknowledged that racism exists." I agree 100% and have never said otherwise. I have suggested that racism does not have to be the cause of people feeling miserable, upset, devalued, etc. Unfortunately, members of the vicitm brigade keep promoting thier gospel of "any negative feelings you have are due to racsim." And sadly, many believe it. And when I point ot examples of people achieving despite racist attitudes, all I hear is a racist response of "Well they must think white." (can't remember who said that)

"Racism is insidious and has many negative flow on effects that have been studied and documented internationally. Anthony rejects this work."
This is where you have painted yourself into a corner, and stuck your head in the sand. It has not been studies based in strong research, only (weak) opinions offered. I have read the works of the people you admire, and all they ever do is make the claims "racism hurts and damages us" without any justification. As I have said before, some people claim that overcast weather upsets them. Yes there are people who are upset, and yes there are overcast days. To suggest a causal relationship is ridiculous.

The weakest argument a person can use to suppor thei claims is "it must be true because others have said the same thing'. Your flat-earth attitude keeps ABorignal people back.
Posted by Anthony Dillon, Thursday, 5 April 2012 11:21:55 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“I tire of your lack of evidence to justify ...”
The burden of proof lies with the claimant, and you have not provided any proof other than “other people say it is true”.

“You attack me ...reviewed literature I have put forward.”
I have read it, again, all they do is make the claim. This is much like my other research area – mental illness. You get many people saying chemical imbalances in the brain cause depression, but unfortunately, there is no science to back up the claim.

“You reject ... all are wrong and you are right. I have provided evidence that you dismiss offhandedly.”
I have not merely asserted others are wrong. I have asserted that others have not provided any evidence (other than consensus). You’ve provided evidence? Are you sure it was not just the writings of people who have the same opinion as you? I am more than happy to look at this ‘evidence’ again.

“ Sometimes a person's negative life experiences ... become unmanageable, either temporarily or chronically.”
Okay, now you are starting to think. That’s good. We need to ask ourselves why the experiences accumulate to such a point.

“However, your stance of refuting peoples' experience of racism and its affect on their lives remains merely your belief - you arrogantly dismiss people's difficulties.”
I do not dismiss their difficulties. And your assertion that the racism causes their negative experiences is merely your belief which after all this time you have been unable to justify.

“ You chuck a tantrum and address anything other than substantiating your stance. Where is the literature to support your view?”
In Peter Sutton’s excellent book “The politics of suffering” he said that truth is not always popular. The “I’m a victim of others” doctrine is both false and popular. I have you cornered so it woudl seem you are the 'tantrum chucker'.

“Having attained a PhD, you should know you have provided no evidence supporting your argument.”
I can say the same to you. All you have done is quote people with the same opinion as yourself.
Posted by Anthony Dillon, Thursday, 5 April 2012 11:36:38 AM
Aka, if you like, forget all the previous posts. I will spell the issue out for you as simply as I can. Consider this? I was recently referred to as “Dr Coconut”. That is a term many would consider racist and many have called me that before (but without the 'Dr" bit). With respect to this term, I share the same feelings as my father – only idiots use it. Some people are upset when the term is used to describe them, claiming that the term upset them, while others, like myself just laugh. Why are some upset by it and others unaffected by it? Perhaps the ‘upset’ is not caused by the term coconut? Please don't be like the fool who recently said "because they think white", or words to that effect. And the logic I use here is applicable to more extreme forms of events you would consider racist. Also, have you ever wondered why Aboriginal people can make racist jokes about each other and it is considered okay, yet a white person say the same joke and suddenly .... I will leave you with the words of Epictetus -
Men are disturbed not by things, but by the view which they take of them
Posted by Anthony Dillon, Thursday, 5 April 2012 12:26:11 PM
So, Anthony, what are the other pseudonyms you use
Posted by Aka, Thursday, 5 April 2012 10:40:08 PM
Hi Aka,

Forgive me for bringing it up - it could be embarrassing for someone who goes only by the pseudonym of Aka' - but I think Anthony Dillon uses only the name 'Anthony Dillon'. Because that's his name.

Some people don't need pseudonyms :)

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 5 April 2012 11:59:48 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 32
  7. 33
  8. 34
  9. Page 35
  10. 36
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy