The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Over the barrel > Comments

Over the barrel : Comments

By Spencer Gear, published 8/2/2012

How do Aussies integrate into North American culture?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
It was interesting to read the article, as we experienced it the other way around, emigrating from America 31 years ago as a family with 3 teenage children. Like Spencer, we encountered some of the same things he and his family encountered; different lingo, food, etc., and found the church to be our 'family' in Australia.
One of the things I've appreciated most about the experience is the chance to evaluate my own ideas in light of another culture. I began to realise how much of our thinking is shaped by the culture in which we've been raised. Viewing ideas through other eyes, I've been able to change some thinking, appreciating the new culture in which I came to live, while holding on to some long-held views, which I felt had merit. (It would take too long to elaborate here on specifics.)
I also feel that I've gained a much broader view of the world in general, as we can become quite parochial, living in one place - with news, etc., centering on the country in which we reside.
Thirty-one years later our 3 children are scattered around the world - our daughter and family moving to the US 2 years ago, our youngest son and French wife and children living in New Caledonia (thanks in part to his opportunity to get a PhD in Marine Biology through the Australian system, for which we are very grateful), and our other son living near us.
We love and appreciate both our native land and also our adopted country, and feel all the richer for experiencing both cultures.
Posted by Arleen, Wednesday, 8 February 2012 1:33:16 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy