The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Political leaders don’t have the time for babies > Comments

Political leaders don’t have the time for babies : Comments

By Cassandra Wilkinson, published 2/2/2012

Could Julia Gillard have a baby and run the country?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
"Could Julia Gillard have a baby and run the country?"

To answer the first part of the question , Julia may be too old to conceive naturally, and therefore she may need to take advantage of the service provided by the no-knockback IVF treatment entrepreneurs. As our very generous national health system places no limit on the number of times that women can access IVF treatment and claim the associated exorbitant expenses from us taxpayers, she may have no qualms in going down that road.

As the PM is inept at running the country now, it is difficult to envisage how she could become less inept by having a baby.
Posted by Raycom, Thursday, 2 February 2012 10:54:33 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have often wondered just what qualifications are required to become an ALP ministerial adviser, other than being one of the Labor in people, & perhaps membership of a young Labor group at uni.

Please tell us Cassandra
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 2 February 2012 11:55:57 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen ask the Young Liberals
Posted by Kipp, Thursday, 2 February 2012 12:46:33 PM
An odd piece, one that seems a tad inconsistent in its argument.

"I am a woman whose children had a politician for a father for eight years; a woman who has many friends who are MPs with kids; and a woman who worked for a political leader who was a mother... I’m happy to say that after two terms our marriage was stronger than ever... There are many fine women who manage to acquit all the responsibilities of being a senior professional and a good mother - I know many and I hope I am one of them... our family came out of our experience in good shape and I believe you can have a great family life in politics just as you can manage any career with little children."

Well that's all right then. But - what's this?

"But I would never vote for a woman to be Leader with a baby for the simple reason I would never vote for a man to be Leader with a tiny baby. Leaders if they are to run a government, a state and a party must be consumed by the job."

We have already been told that a political career makes marriages stronger. That there are "many fine women" who have it well under control and manage to do great work. And that it allows a "great family life".

It seems very odd for Ms Wilkinson to tell the world how a political career can be so fulfilling, but add a caveat that she would never vote for anyone who wanted to follow the same path.

At least the article provided a great opportunity to say look, it's a hard life out there. But I came through ok. You're probably not quite so tough, though, so you wouldn't get my vote...

Incidentally, the assertion that leaders "must be consumed by the job" is indicative of a fundamental problem in the way politicians see themselves. A little more balance, a little less tunnel vision, we might actually get leadership that we can respect, instead of a bunch of PR-fed automata.
Posted by Pericles, Thursday, 2 February 2012 3:37:57 PM
As a part of the new order, about 1/4 of women no longer have babies,

Or they have their babies raised in taxpayer funded day care centres, after they had the baby in a taxpayer funded hospital, after conceiving the baby in a taxpayer funded IVF clinic without a father.

Then they want taxpayer funded education, and probably taxpayer funded remedial treatment for the child, and also taxpayer funded health care, and increasingly, taxpayer funded mental treatment for the child.

They do all this so the woman can pursue her career, such as a career as a totally inept Prime Minister, who should never have been made Prime Minister in the first place.
Posted by vanna, Thursday, 2 February 2012 3:40:14 PM
She's running the country into the ground now just being a puppet figure head.It would be better that she was totally occupied having babies and just leave us alone.

The Labor Party are like Bonobo Monkeys.They have to f#(k everything they touch.

Bonobos in pyjamas are coming,
Down the stairs,
Bonobos in your pocket,
Are chasing,
The big teddy bears.

There'll be no Bull Market with this lot in power.
Posted by Arjay, Thursday, 2 February 2012 3:50:33 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy