The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Flying the flag > Comments

Flying the flag : Comments

By Anne Robinson, published 30/1/2012

Love of one's home is natural and even commendable, but belief that one country is inherently better than any other slips into the realms of intolerance and hate.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Leo,

There is a world of difference between the n-word and the r-word.

The n-word is based on human colour prejudice (as the w-word can be) and a belief in the non-existent phenomenon of race; the r-word describes behaviour that is demonstrable, and demonstably disgusting. We need words like racism to describe social and historical patterns of behaviour that cause social and personal harm. I can't see that the n-word serves us in any comparable way.

The proscription of the n-word is justified on a number of levels, but for a start it has just that single racist and abusive denotation. The word "white" is a widely used word describing the visual appearance of all kinds of things and not just people with a particular skin colour. "White" can be a term of abuse, but it hardly has the historical weight or personal impact that the n-word has.

But all this is beside the point. This discusion is not addressing the concern voiced in the original article. Why not give it a try?
Posted by cardigan, Thursday, 2 February 2012 1:39:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I was curious about that 'n' word which Leo claims that this web-engine refuses on grounds of profanity.

Other than 'negro' (Latin for "black") I cannot think of another such word starting with 'n' and here I am and this same web-engine allows it - here, Negro, with or without capitals, negro, plural negroes (my spell-checker insists that the plural must start with a capital, Negroes). I use this word for referring to people of black skin and other African features - no bad feelings, intent or contempt of any sort, just a natural attribute.

So then, I am getting more and more curious - what is this mysterious 'n' word you refer to? Can you spell it?

Or can this engine read the thoughts of the typist and censor on that basis?
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 2 February 2012 2:11:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu, perhaps you should think of the name of a famous dam busters black dog.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 2 February 2012 3:52:23 PM
Yuyutsu. Six letters in the "n" word. Second and third letters ig. Fifth and sixth letters er.

Type it in and you will be given an instruction in red letters by the automatic Comment Editor.

No, it cannot detect the word, to which I refer, from this post.
Posted by Leo Lane, Thursday, 2 February 2012 3:55:08 PM
This article is about flying the Aus flag, and with particular reference to Australia Day, and the emotions this day raises, with or without flag waving. Flying the Aus flag is nationalistic, yes, but is by no means a racist gesture (unless someone misguidedly wishes to make it so). And nationalism is a celebration of one's country.

It is a pity that some of our indigenous people take offence at the Aus flag (because of concerns about the colonial connotations, and associated loss of country) but the more enlightened view would be to see the flag as a mark of Aus today, and not that of the past. Understandably, some will continue to have a problem accepting this, but we must all try to move forward. (Particularly with reconciliation in mind.)

No-one is forced to live in Aus, so I see no reason why any immigrants (temporary, much less permanent) should take any exception to the flying of the flag - or of either of the Indigenous flags for that matter.

Some immigrants may wish to fly the national flag of their 'home' country, and I can see no reason for having a problem with this either, particularly on their 'national' day.

As we become increasingly multicultural, I see this as even more reason for celebrating our good fortune, one and all, of being able to live in this great open society, and recognising the Aus flag as belonging to all of us. Nationalism is at heart a celebration of togetherness, and a rejection of divisiveness. If we cannot associate with the flag, where is our identity? In football? (Heaven forbid.)
Posted by Saltpetre, Thursday, 2 February 2012 10:46:12 PM
"where is our identity? In football?"

Have you, or have those who identify with a football team, ever stopped to think why you need this thing at all?

It is true that we should celebrate our good fortune, and part of that good fortune is that we are not forced to express national feelings, or else..., and are not even discriminated against if we don't.

Many immigrants, myself included, who fled expressions of nationalism in their old country, have not done so and came here only to adopt yet another nationalism. I do not fly ANY flag.

---

P.S. Thank you Leo, I never learned that word in school or ever used it. I'm afraid that Hasbeen's hint did not help me find it either. Even when I was in South Africa at the time of Apartheid, the word used for blacks was "Bantu".
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 2 February 2012 11:09:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy