The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A touch of cultural diversity in politics > Comments

A touch of cultural diversity in politics : Comments

By Jieh-Yung Lo, published 11/1/2012

The engagement of people from migrant and refugee backgrounds should be a priority for all political parties in Australia.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Good luck with that, Jieh-Yung.

"I would like to call on all political parties to be more inclusive and open up their doors."

But it isn't clear from your article that those doors are presently closed.

You cite a number of reasons why people from non-English speaking backgrounds do not get involved, including "limited English language skills, the lack of interest in civic engagement and the lack of understanding of the political process", "many new arrivals are not fully aware of their rights and responsibilities", "the cultural and traditional mentality that migrant and refugee communities have", "political and civic life is seen to be an unstable career for individuals to undertake" etc.

Your recipe for resolving this seems to be that it is the responsibility of "someone else" to fix it, presumably (although you don't make this clear) from outside the migrant community.

If those doors are indeed shut, maybe it would be more productive to focus your attention on those who are doing the shutting.

Otherwise, I would venture that your punchline might have been better framed as:

"I would like to call on members of all migrant communities to become more involved with Australian political parties".
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 11 January 2012 8:06:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The timing of the release of this article is very unfortunate in light of the weekend revelations of Teresa Gambaro. She surely cannot be held up as a shining example of the benefits of cultural diversity to Oz politics!
Posted by ZandR, Wednesday, 11 January 2012 9:42:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Quite the contrary, we all ready have far too much of special interest people in the minorities gaining the balance of power, & thus the tail wagging the dog in Oz.

I believe that only those who are second generation born in Oz should be eligible for an elected office, or employment in the public service, & particularly in education.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 11 January 2012 10:10:49 AM
I almost agree with Hasbeen, but I think that only someone born in Australia should be able to hold the highest offices of PM and leader of the Opposition (alternative PM). Oops - there goes Julia and Tony.

While it is good to encourage immigrant people to be active in politics, I think the push should be on being more inclusive of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders - Australia's first peoples - in the government.

NZ has seats specifically for Maori people, why not Australia?
Posted by Aka, Wednesday, 11 January 2012 10:37:23 AM
I hope the author is not suggesting we promote people into politics for the wrong reasons? So we ease them into politics because they are from a special interest group, and not because they actually want to better our society.

We have enough of those now, the ALP is full of Union officials who see their career path stretching from union leadership (or the ABC) to Federal politics and some of those people are certainly self interested. As some others of course, our speaker is a case in point for instance.

That's why the ALP has a problem, no plan, just a bunch of career union officials who are there and don't really know what to do, except get more for themselves. We don't want more of that.

People get voted into parliament, (outside the ALP, where it is a reward, nothing to do with the community), because they are seen to be representative of their constituencies and want to better their society. So you would expect those people to be able to communicate with their constituents surely?

The ALP regularly use minority or special interest groups in politics. The ALP effectively managed Chinese people in McKew's campaign against John Howard? "The Maxine Support Group is a group of mainly Chinese-Australian older professionals" The Monthly. The local Chinese community was targeted heavily, money poured in from the unions .. but they didn't keep it up and now Maxine is gone - shows just how much the ALP cared about the local constituency once they got JH out.

We have many people in politics for various reasons and I don't think coming from a non english speaking background as valid criteria. Mind you, with the way our nanny state goes, it will probably enforce on us a quota before long .. sigh.
Posted by rpg, Wednesday, 11 January 2012 10:39:24 AM
Listening to any senate debate; it is clear, that our politicians come from many backgrounds and diverse nationalities! I can't understand why anyone would be interested in politics; but if they do want to "serve", at least they need to be able to talk to their constituents.
It's is not clear that appointing Maori reps to allocated seats; has been a raving success; and, possibly even counter-productive?
Proportional representation is all we've ever needed to stop marginalising minorities?
Or indeed, take the power from the back room power brokers and return it to the people, who ought to be the final arbiters; in any GENUINE democracy, of who is preselected or sits in which seat; or, represents which electorate!
Our present system allows someone to represent a seat, who 80-90% of the voters have rejected!
Learn our language; join a political party; and, make your presence felt, with intelligent debating skills!
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 11 January 2012 11:54:47 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy