The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Dutch death squads > Comments

Dutch death squads : Comments

By Paul Russell, published 12/12/2011

In Holland death is about to come by home delivery courtesy of the government.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
The author’s intent would appear to be the complete denunciation of euthanasia, given that he is the Director of HOPE: preventing euthanasia & assisted suicide.

However, the article doesn’t make this case. It simply makes it very clear that checks and balances need to be in place. That’s all.

What about those who are finding life unbearable, in a manner that cannot be remedied? Should they not have the right to euthanasia services?

Yes they should. And something that is carefully and properly managed SHOULD be implemented.

< … the Dutch Health Minister admitted in their parliament recently that her department is 'considering' setting up mobile euthanasia death squads. >

Death squads??

This sort of over-the-top emotive language doesn't help the author present a balanced view!

In principle, the notion of the Dutch Government improving euthanasia assistance… along with all manner of other assistance for the ill and elderly… has my support.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 12 December 2011 7:35:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Paul Russell is right to sound a warning on this. It echoes rather disturbingly the original Nazi concept of "a life unworthy to be lived" that was used to establish what Dr Tessa Chelouche describes as the "biomedical paradigm [which] provided the theoretical basis for allowing those sworn to the Hippocratic principle of nonmaleficence to kill in the name of the state".

This conceptual shift culminated in a medicalized killing programme that still today generates moral revulsion in all decent human beings. The medical profession in Nazi Germany, like the Courts, were too easily seduced into accepting that the value of life is differential, and not equal, inherent and inalienable as was subsequently recognized in the Universal Declaration principles and codified in all subsequent UN human rights Covenants.

Those who framed the inalienable right to life protections in the international covenants on human rights were no ivory tower academics. Drafters like the brilliant jurist René Cassin lost close family members in the atrocities of World War II, many of them in 'legal' routine medicalized killing programmes that had 'shocked the conscience of mankind'

Blueprints for medicalized killing cannot be offered by governments or private clinics as a legitimate response to the suicidal distress of any person as it is in violation of the fundamental human rights principle of inalienability. Human beings cannot be deprived of the substance of their rights, not in any circumstances, not even at their own request.

While every person with a terminal illness has a right to refuse burdensome medical treatments intended to prolong life, no one has a right to demand of one's carers a medical intervention intended to kill. And no government has authority to provide such an ignominious 'service'.
Posted by RitaJ, Monday, 12 December 2011 7:41:22 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As soon as you invoke the Nazi analogy, you've lost. If you don't have better arguments than that, quit now.
Posted by DavidL, Monday, 12 December 2011 8:28:18 AM
I thought it was a rather delicious humorous article when I started it. almost all the actual facts were either wrong or wildly exaggerated in the best tradition of writing comic strips. However reading the first comments it would appear that some people actually still take this attempt to deny proper legal euthanasia seriously.

All that needs to be said is that it is always entirely the patients own choice and all the safeguards go towards ensuring the validity of their own choices.

The most incredible comment comes towards the end.
" is it not a legitimate role of the doctor to avoid a direct answer on such a question " If my doctor refused to discuss this question I would change the doctor. Putting your head in the sand is usually a very unwise thing to do
Posted by Dickybird, Monday, 12 December 2011 8:47:11 AM
The Dutch are far from stupid or gullible. I am sure than anyone who knew the history of how the Dutch suffered at the hands of the Nazis would not have made that fatuous comparison. The Dutch would find it extemely offensive.
Posted by michael_in_adelaide, Monday, 12 December 2011 8:52:05 AM
The Swiss could already be ahead of the Dutch on all this.

Last time I checked, they had two voluntary euthanasia organisations
operating, Dignitas and Exit. One of them indeed does come to
peoples homes on request. I've had friends attend these services.
After much scrutiny beforehand, the actual service can involve close
friends and family and can be a very dignified and moving experience.

I see no reason why we Australians should not have a similar choice.
I have no intention of struggling and gasping until my last breathe
in some palliative care unit, whilst the providers of that service
are cashing in.

Is the author of this article perhaps a Catholic ?
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 12 December 2011 9:17:35 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy