The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Acting on climate change is in Australia’s national interest > Comments

Acting on climate change is in Australia’s national interest : Comments

By Clancy Moore, published 30/11/2011

Australia needs to be proactive in tackling climate change at the UN Climate Summit.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Leo Lane and curmudgeon, could you please spell it out for poor 579 pleeeeez!
Perhaps he/she could get beyond 1970's science? Even 'Real Climate' blog, the voice of CRU at UEA has acknowledged discrepancies in 579's submission. Love your passion tho 579! Is there somehere you could redirect it I wonder.... Like maybe the repeal of legislation requiring the mandatory biofuel quota using corn and other protein producing broad acre cropping in third world countries?
Posted by Prompete, Wednesday, 30 November 2011 3:49:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Prompete - quite right..

579 - you keep on destroying your own case. You cite an increase in sea levels of 3.1 mm a year.. quite right.. been about the same for nearly 20 years on the satellite measurements. You do realise that works out an increase of just 0.31 metres over a century or around a foot in the old Imperial measure?

Sure temperatures have increased recently - have you really cited farenheit to make the increase look bigger? - but you've left out the vital point that they haven't budged in the past 13 years or so, or for the vast majority of the time the IPCC has been screaming that they should be increasing..
Posted by Curmudgeon, Wednesday, 30 November 2011 3:54:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You seem to think the figures are trivial. 1.5f is .9 c That .9 is enough for ice to melt like never before. That is where the rise in temperature is having its worst effect. The ice melt is increasing as that .9 c is evening out in arctic waters. Adverse weather is a consequence of that trivial .9 c rise in temp.
You forgot to add the co2 is at an all time high, hence the temp rise of late. Trivial figures where nature is concerned, are of gigantic consequences.
Posted by 579, Wednesday, 30 November 2011 4:12:11 PM
Over the past few months, I have been travelling on and off, in Europe and Asia. Also, briefly, in the USA.
I observed a - at least to me - curious thing.
The only two countries where I saw active debate on whether or not human induced climate change is real were the USA and here in Australia.
In Asia and Europe, it seemed to me that the debate all over the media was about how to fix it and what to do about fairness between developed and developing countries. I didn't hear or see any debate in the media about whether or not climate change is real or human induced, and when I asked, the response was mostly words to the effect, We've had that argument; we've moved on.
It seems to me that only here and in America, (of the countries I visited), was the debate still stuck at the - is it or isn't it real and human induced level.
The other thing I noticed was that in most of the other countries, (i.e. excluding Australia and the USA), although many of them didn't appear to be doing much yet, the national position, (whatever it was in a particular country), was a fairly bipartisan one
I admit that my observations were just that, and hardly a study of their literature, but nevertheless, the different levels of public discourse did seem striking.
It got me wondering if perhaps - at least to some extent - the level of debate here and in the USA is a reflection of the politicisation of the issue in these two countries.
Cheers,
Anthony
http://www.observationpoint.com.a
Posted by Anthonyve, Wednesday, 30 November 2011 4:54:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
579... The avarege temperature in both arctic and antarctic regions is minus ... Um. How many degrees?... An increase of .9c will increase the temperature by.... Um how many degrees below zero?... What is the melting point of ice.....um.... Do the sums.... (I acknowledge being a little simplistic here).
CO2 'at an all time high?.. Gee, all that proxy data must be wrong! Perhaps you could let the IPCC know that they have had it wrong all this time and that you could correct them.. 579, mate, get up to speed here ok?.
Posted by Prompete, Wednesday, 30 November 2011 5:03:12 PM
"I acknowledge being a little simplistic here"

Yep

The science can speak for itself so don't put your own spin on it - that is the domain of the "sceptics".
Posted by bonmot, Wednesday, 30 November 2011 5:25:02 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All