The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Live export six months on > Comments

Live export six months on : Comments

By George Seymour, published 28/11/2011

It has been six months since Four Corners brought the cruelty of live export into the nation’s living rooms.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
An important and timely commentary. As animal cruelty in abbatoirs fades out of media spotlight public outrage dissipates. Filming the atrocities committed against animals confronts us most powerfully. Any effort by industry to prevent scrutiny and to water down legislation should be relentlessly challenged.
Posted by jenni, Monday, 28 November 2011 11:31:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am sure the idiotic knee jerk reaction of the the Gillard Government on this issue would be one she is hoping will fade quickly. She brought yet another Australian Industry to its knees and the closer an election gets the more she will be hoping it fades from the minds of the rational people.
Posted by runner, Monday, 28 November 2011 11:44:36 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Runner How can you say that about animals, being a man of god.
Posted by 579, Monday, 28 November 2011 11:55:29 AM
'Runner How can you say that about animals, being a man of god.'

I said nothing about animals in my post. No sensible person wants cruelty to animals however eating meat keeps people alive. Animals are bred for food. Making a political decision based upon pure emotion from a TV documentary which threatened severely to destroy hard working Australians livelyhood was purely wrong.

Tony Abbott due to his 'religous'beliefs was thought by many to be out of line for his views on abortion as the Health Minister. Why then are not vegans and vegetarians out of line because of their 'religous'beliefs that we should not eat a lesser 'évolved' being? If Abbott should be excluded from the abortion debate why should not Vegetarians be exluded from the live export trade debate?
Posted by runner, Monday, 28 November 2011 12:07:32 PM
I remember very vividly the reaction to the 4 Corners show the day after it screened. Every single person - whether they had seen the entire show, just seen snippets on the news bulletins or heard about it on the radio was aghast. We go on treating animals like that. The scary thing is we know so little. It was the bravery of a few women and the strange acquiesance of the abbatoir workers that meant that for those single moments what occured was digitally recorded and able to be seen. Yet it is happening all the time. If people only knew, they would be outraged and things would change. As Paul McCartney said "If slaughterhouses had windows, we would all be vegetarians" I believe it is true.
Posted by Helen Davids, Monday, 28 November 2011 12:27:42 PM
The shutdown last week of a Victorian pig abattoir over animal
cruelty issues, shows that it can happen anywhere, even right under
our very noses.So much for insisting that only in Australia can
livestock be slaughtered humanely.

There are indeed a number of benefits coming out of the Indonesia
saga. Dozens of works are upgrading and equipping themselves with
stun guns. Abattoirs in other market destinations are upgrading
too. These places don't just slaughter Australian livestock,
so animals of all nationalities benefit.

So the live trade is in fact doing a whole lot of good, even if
some radical vegans will never accept that.

500 sheep dying on a shipload of 60'000 is indeed acceptable. But
then I don't think that the author knows much about ruminant nutrition
and the issues involved. Australian livestock in the paddock would
have similar losses. Its not bambiland out there, even if some
kid themselves.

*As Paul McCartney said "If slaughterhouses had windows, we would all be vegetarians" I believe it is true.*

Nonsense. For those who live in fairyland maybe. We are far kinder
to livestock then to our old people. Its all over in a few seconds
for them. Our old people have to gasp until their last breathe,
suffering, as we stand and watch and refuse to give them a choice
about the matter. Fact is that death is never pleasant, but its
reality.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 28 November 2011 1:11:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy