The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The windmills in our minds > Comments

The windmills in our minds : Comments

By Max Rheese, published 25/11/2011

It is not just species of birds who are threatened by wind farms.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Once again it's the energy-at-any-cost that is causing the damage. Wind farms and coal-seam gas both put energy before the people that the energy is meant to benefit. In the first case it drives people mad. In the second it poisons their water.
Where's the sense in that?
Future generations will look back with wonder that we were (are) so reluctant to embrace solar.
Posted by halduell, Friday, 25 November 2011 10:50:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No, I think it is more bowing to political pressure when the populist science is half baked.
Posted by Bruce, Friday, 25 November 2011 11:14:19 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wind farms, the new smoking, only this time the vice is government backed.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 25 November 2011 12:15:38 PM
Solar is alive and well, big installations are now on the drawing board. There is always going to be a place for wind turbines. Nuclear has suffered a big swing against any more installations.
Posted by 579, Friday, 25 November 2011 3:58:16 PM
I'm a light sleeper, and I rented for some time at a place which was close to a busy road. Despite the noise problems, I did not have to abandon my home or suffer severe sleep deprivation. Earplugs are cheap and readily available at all good pharmacists.

For those who regard such a solution as far too simple and obvious, they could always do what my old man did - he suffers from tinnitus, which earplugs won't help with, so he built himself a white noise generator which apparently helps.
Posted by The Acolyte Rizla, Saturday, 26 November 2011 11:51:08 AM
I have tinnitus , but i don't know what a white generator is. People live beside railway tracks. When a mining co was going to set up near me years ago, the EPA put a noise measuring devise in my backyard for 2 weeks, to measure day sound and night sound. The night sound was around 25DB and the day sound was 55 db. A barking dog puts up 85 DB. Nothing ever come of the mining project.
The thing is when you are subject to such low noise levels at night, then something comes along that increases that level, it takes time to get accustomed of the added noise level. The EPA says noise levels of 80 BD is an acceptable noise level.
People that live near wind mills, will before long take no notice of them. And you will get over your sickness, of the mind.
Posted by 579, Saturday, 26 November 2011 12:14:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy