The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Qantas dispute - part of a major workplace upheaval > Comments

Qantas dispute - part of a major workplace upheaval : Comments

By Malcolm Colless, published 31/10/2011

Abbott can't just wait for Labor to fail on IR - he must have an alternative strategy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Diver Dan, in this case I'll prefer to rely on the West Australian
aviation writer Geoffrey Thomas, for my information. In the past
he's proven to be extremely well informed and accurate. So thanks
for your amateur attempt, but I'll see it as that.

Around 10 years ago I actually had a great deal to do with some
of the Qantas cargo handlers and the penalty rates, lurks and perks were
what boosted their salaries. Unlike your claim of high staff
turnover, none of them dreamed of leaving. When Qantas called for
voluntary redundancies, a few cashed in on the huge payouts and
found another job within days. Money for jam all the way!

The fact is that today, a business has to operate based on sound
business practise. If Qantas International is losing 200 million
a year, either restructure it or shut it down. Operate those
sections that do make money. Jetstar is making money in Vietnam
and Singapore, it makes pefect sense to expand those businesses and
tap into the 4 billion consumers in Asia, other then the mere 22
million in Australia.

Luckily I saw the writing on the wall for Qantas years ago. I run
my own super fund and would not have touched their shares with a barge
pole, given that the joint is largely run for the benefit of employees.
But I do have empathy for the mums and dads who bought
into the Qantas spin story and invested their hard earned savings,
only to be screwed all the way. If Joyce can turn that around,
despite having a whole union movement against him, a union movement
who even controls the Govt, then the man is worth every penny and
some justice will prevail for those who got screwed.
Posted by Yabby, Monday, 31 October 2011 10:28:18 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...If I sound happily resigned to inevitabilities of job losses for Australians, I am not! For many years I have watched in wonderment at the huge losses of industry shrugged off overseas to “harbours of cheap labour” in Asia, all given the “Nod” of approval by successive Governments of all shades, while overgearing anti-union attacks on those left behind.

...Then in equal wonderment, I watch as huge numbers of the same Asians invade our shores, looking for a better world in which to live; apparently not happy now with the gift of industries so freely given over the years, they want the land that they stood on too apparently.

...I stand behind the Liberal philosophy pre-Menzies; beware the yellow peril! Well, turns out they were correct. A return to the “White Australia” policy would be in order!
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 31 October 2011 10:37:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Actually, for some reason, this whole dispute brought back memories
for me of a bloke whose intellect I had a huge regard for,
called Robert Holmes a Court. Sadly he died quite a few years ago.

When Joyce shut Qantas down, some people were absolutaly stunned,
claiming "this is not how we do things in Australia."

It reminded me of Holmes a Court, when he went to
New York and did a deal on US Steel, walking away with 300 million.

The locals were stunned and claimed "This is not how we do things
in New York. You don't know the rules here, Mr Holmes a Court"

Robert in his quiet way replied " Well the Vietkong did not know the
rules either and look what happened to them"

No doubt that left the Americans choking on their whiskey :)
Posted by Yabby, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 12:05:05 AM
So DD, which part of running a business are you not sure about.?

Do you think governments should have the powers to say how and when a business can act?

Just remember, the government did have control of many businesses as they were publicly owned, however, thanks to successive incompetence from governments, most of these assetts have been sold off, generally to repay debt incurred from mismanagement from these, or previous incompitent governments.

The one crucial misunderstanding from these fools is that business, unlike governments, don't run on a cost recovery basis.

BTW, trades such as chefing and butchery have pay rates that are less than baggage handlers at Qantas.

Now, considering these are skilled workers, having done a trade course, do you honestly think this Qantas pay rate is a fair and equitable wage?
Posted by rehctub, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 6:28:07 AM
I suggest that some of the posters here look at the Qantas constitution available here
http://www.qantas.com.au/infodetail/about/corporateGovernance/Constitution.pdf
and then tell us how they are going to survive without considerable financial help from the government.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 7:35:37 AM
rehctub

...# Capitalism: An economic system promoting the odds for the largest gains, inside an environment exhibiting the biggest losers. #

...The Qantas fiasco masks the Disney-land reality of globalism. The globalised free market economy is the antithesis of success to industrialised western economies. The economic “true cost” is social incohesion caused through entrenched unemployment, by export of its industrial base to “ports of cheap labour”; as the consequence, the collapse of law and order and destitution of its citizens, and the eventual loss of its cultural base.

...Australia needs, as a “prima Facie”, a return to closed borders and the white Australia policies of the past, for restoration of its domestic economy, together with a restorative refocus on its traditional Christian based culture of the past, as a moral guide for its future!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 1 November 2011 12:29:55 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy