The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > War and shopping: the extremism that never speaks its name > Comments

War and shopping: the extremism that never speaks its name : Comments

By John Pilger, published 26/9/2011

As a new Westfield mega mall opens in time for the upcoming Olympics, what is the effect of such large-scale consumerism on society?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
LOL This is one of the most ridiculously exaggerated and tangentially argued articles I have ever read about a visit to a mere shopping centre. Millions of people do it daily and don't feel nailed in by a terrifying ogre of forced consumerism. They buy what they want and then go home. But not Pilger. He flips into a mega rant about a Jewish owned consumerist megalith and David Cameron.

Pilger's bleating about simple mall of shops, is quite bizarre. He portrays it as an dangerous labyrinth, specifically designed to disorientate and extract money from the bewildered. I'm uncertain whether Pilger is an extreme Lefty who is squeezing every last drop out of his long exhausted anti-everything theory, or is acutely attuned to his conspiracy theorist audience who lap this stuff up. Regardless of the topic, he always manages to put a boot into the Jews or the Conservatives.

Next time, he should just follow the exit signs, like a normal person would. Its cheaper than buying a pair of sunglasses you don't really want.
Posted by Atman, Monday, 26 September 2011 12:58:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ah.. how refreshing; at times we tend to forget how imperfect the world really is on the outside: Until that is, John Pilger explodes another of his anti-capitalist hand grenades in our midst...I love it!
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 26 September 2011 7:42:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay, it is dangerous to shop in malls owned by Larry Silverman, he owns building 7, the one that he uttered the fateful words "PULL IT" to, and it came down immediately, amazing, controlled demos take a bit of setting up, it seems Larry had all his buidings wired for just such an event. Silverman and Lowy enemy of the people and greed driven individuals both.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=972ETepp4GI&NR=1
Posted by sonofgloin, Monday, 26 September 2011 8:14:55 PM
Well I can relate to this.

For the past 6 months, I have spent time in and around a major expansion of a shopping centre, and this colossus will have a new food mall with seating for over 800 people, and there are also 2 other food malls in the place.

Of course the 4 biggest junk food franchises in Australia are to open new shops in the new food mall.

I know most of the other shops in the new expansion will also be franchise operations, and most of these will be foreign owned.

We live in a society that is a mixture of capitalism and feminism, and in this soulless and loveless society, the public have now become just pigs at the trough, but also the work animals on the farm.
Posted by vanna, Monday, 26 September 2011 8:19:22 PM
Vanna:

Fortunately, the "mega" shopping malls become more and more an entertainment venue. Serious shopping can be achieved on-line or at the local CBD.
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 26 September 2011 8:33:58 PM
and everyone truely revolted by these monstrocities can move to a small mining or rural towns screaming for workers. The latte mob love to complain but secretly love their comforts. No one is forcing anyone to live next to a big convenient shopping centre. I would imagine that many of those catching boats here can't wait for the opportunity to see so much choice available.
Posted by runner, Monday, 26 September 2011 8:39:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy