The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > At home with the fake Julia > Comments

At home with the fake Julia : Comments

By Kevin Hawkins, published 13/9/2011

Satirising the prime minister confuses electors.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
I meant to watch but missed it.

I was interested though that my 24 year old son who is in no way conservative or a Julia supporter, said he felt quite uncomfortable with the idea of seeing the prime minister in her pyjamas and he wouldn't watch the promos. Hmmm very interesting.

He said that his friend, a Malaysian engineering student, thought it was 'awesome' that Aussies could make fun of their prime minister in this way.
Posted by Mollydukes, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 8:12:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
At Home won't impact much on what people already think, as you argue there is already a lot of noise in the political and media landscape. This is guaranteed to drown out any interlopers. It is political satire which is not new to television eg. Max Gillies, John Clarke and Bryan Dawe.

I do remember John Howard and Keating being satirised mercilessley during their PMships, albeit the media landscape was not so feral and diverse as it is now. The Howards, Hawkes and Keatings did not have to contend so much with the emergence of internet commentary but there have always been Alan Jones's and the like to whip up hysteria.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 8:31:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
When I was a lad, we had this thing called 'cracker night'. I think it was around the queens birthday.

We used to build a bonfire, and atop of the bonfire, we would place a Manikin of the current political leader we hated at the time, usually the PM, or perhaps if there was some recent scandal, or we were bored withj making the PM every year, it would be a different MP or shadow MP. It was made from stockings and newspaper, and you could watch the nylon melt and the paper burn burn burn!

Not possible for todays youth.

Fireworks are banned.

I think Bonfires are probably banned too.

Yep. It's a pity.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 9:14:45 AM
As for the ABC being a niche broadcaster, Kath and Kim drew a wide following.

I wonder which is the greater distortion - "At Home with Julia" or the opposition's ranting about a fixed price on carbon.

As for the manner on the PM's election, there were no more "faceless men" involved than there are in any caucus decision, by any caucus in any Westminster system of government. If you want more faceless men, try the US presidential style of election.

If you want to find another way of turning out a PM for whatever reason, examine the US system of impeachment.

You can love to hate the PM and/or "At Home with Julia" if you wish, but don't forget to remember how totally bought is our major ally's current administration and legislature. Then, count your blessings.
Posted by Sir Vivor, Thursday, 15 September 2011 7:23:17 AM
Nothing new about political satire or taking the p*ss out of public figures and believe me I love good clever satire more than the average Joe. Can't however recall a show entirely dedicated to a single entity - let alone a PM (or equivalent) and their partner/househould here or overseas.

Took the trouble to watch last night and quite frankly felt a bit uncomfortable with the concept. Joolya deserves a fair lampooning not open slather on her partner and private life. Bit un-Australian I was thinking ...

Also it just wasn't funny. Even those who love to hate the Red Queen will likely not bother to tune in beyond 2 episodes - unless very easily amused. Hopefully poor ratings will kill off this poor excuse for comedy quickly. It's got to be an embarrassment to any half intelligent aussie
Posted by divine_msn, Thursday, 15 September 2011 2:49:28 PM
Its the typical home-breed humor even Paul Hogan would be proud of, and its good that the Australian Government loves to see:)

Provocative, and at least our ways of acting, since that's all we know. Obnoxious, rude, and the banjo loving anythings, that goes there ways of greatness..

If you cant have a laugh once in while, you've given up the ghost.

Do Australians really act like that? or are we just unique?

At home with the fake Julia....Yeah...whats the diff:) I'll bet shes just like us, well most of us anyway:)

cactus.
Posted by Cactus:), Thursday, 15 September 2011 4:37:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy