The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > At home with the fake Julia > Comments

At home with the fake Julia : Comments

By Kevin Hawkins, published 13/9/2011

Satirising the prime minister confuses electors.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Unless you live in Gillard's electorate you have no control over her re-election.

Gillard took over as PM not because of any democratic decision on our part but because a bunch of blokes, some of them un-elected, decided to toss the PM who'd led them to a stunning election win, and give Gillard the job instead.

When we went to the last election we did not elect Gillard as PM. We don't do that anyway in this country, but never mind, I know what you mean. Gillard didn't get a mandate. She had to woo the Independents to form a government.

If you don't know the difference between the actor PM and the "real" PM don't worry. Nobody does, and hardly anybody even cares anymore.

If you live in Gillard's electorate and so are eligible to cast a vote for her next time, don't you worry about that either because you won't be voting for a comedian. There's nothing funny about the PM.

And as for respect - we are to be respectful of this woman? Do you live in a cave?
Posted by briar rose, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 8:42:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've got some agreement with the point of the article however lampooning our polies has a long history that's not started with Julia. I can recall the excellent take offs of Joh by Gerry Connolly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerry_Connolly_%28comedian%29

I used to laugh along with the Radio skit's from "How Green was my Cactus" http://www.cactus.com.au/

I've not seen the new series so maybe it's doing something different to other comedy which satirises political leaders, maybe not. Comedy is a potent tool for influencing perceptions and what's highlighted by those involved and what's ignored is very open to the bias's of the comedians involved.

I struggle wit the idea that the PM who promised no carbon tax in a government she lead deserves respect.

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 9:02:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The caricature at least appears to be relatively kind, from the reports I have heard... personally, you'd have to staple my eyelids to my forehead and nail me to a chair before I'd watch it, but that's just me.

Does anyone remember a guy called Max Gillies?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax0dFMIcgrU

I didn't watch him either. But the fuss over this programme prompted me to look him up. How do the two compare, do you think?
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 9:09:17 AM
I thought it was a very sympathetic portrayal of a woman who, according to public opinion polls, is widely loathed and despised. Anyone who has ever been involved in public life would recognise the juggling of demands of family and position, which ultimately almost without exception, has to be resolved in favour of position. Not so sure the public understand what it is like.

My thought was that it might actually improve her standing, if anyone in voter land is actually watching it - an audience of 1 million is big, but I bet they most didn't come from swing electorates.

Gillies was savage, and I loved him. I remember an ad he made for the ALP when John Elliott was Liberal Party President. The Elliott character said "Love me beer, so I bought meself a brewery; love me football, so I bought meself a footie team (Carlton); loved me politics, so I bought meself a political party".

Thought it was great, but then whilst voting Liberal I was appalled at the Elliott influence.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the left has no sense of humour, or at least some sections of it.
Posted by GrahamY, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 9:48:23 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The ABC regards its self as the Publicity Arm of The Greens and Left Wing Labor.

They also believe in as much exposure of their Beloveds as possible. Any Publicity is good Publicity.

Toss in a Show like this and maybe the Great Unwashed will confuse Fiction with Reality. There the wicked Witch is really nice & cuddly and perves on Gardeners.

Trouble with their theory is ..the Great Unwashed don't watch the ABC.

The Show then becomes self delusional. The Followers believe the Myth,.

Only them.
Posted by Aspley, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 11:25:32 AM
"Gillard took over as PM not because of any democratic decision on our part but because a bunch of blokes, some of them unelected, decided to toss the PM who'd led them to a stunning election win, and give Gillard the job instead."

Ms Gillard became PM, as all others have.

The PM was voted in by the men and woman in the Labor caucus.

The same occurs on the other side. The elected members of the Liberal Party vote for whom they want to lead them.

That person becomes PM if they have the numbers on the floor of the lower house.

Our democratic right to elect the PM is carried out by the votes of the elected members of the two major parties.. We do not have a direct vote. We have never had a direct vote.

The role of PM or for that matter, parties are not mentioned in the Constitution.

It is my understanding the Nationals, Greens, Independents and other minor parties have no role in selecting PM.
Posted by Flo, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 11:36:32 AM
I haven't watched the show and I'm not a huge fan of Julia Gillard at any rate. But, in all the past satires of politicians their families have generally been off limits so the stuff on Tim (from what I've seen of the ads) mightb be a tad unfair.
Posted by David Jennings, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 3:36:08 PM
David I can recall some fairly pointed stuff aimed at Janette Howard. That does not make it right but I don't think Tim's the first partner to be mocked.

The issue is muddied by the role that the partner chooses to take. Flo Bjelke Peterson copped some public mocking as well but she also took a high profile at times (whereas my understanding is that Janette Howard tried to stay low profile).

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 4:00:42 PM
Did any of you watch the first episode? Tim ends up being the one who stands up to the independents (over the issue of how they want their tea) and they all back down. He was the only ray of commonsense in the whole thing.

Came across a bit dopey, but rose to the occasion.

Anyway, it's all fantasy, so one shouldn't take it too seriously.
Posted by GrahamY, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 5:08:51 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Graham,

I thought Tim came across as a bit sad and lost - his character evoked pathos. Obviously it was scripted to make him appear an appendage of Julia's with no real role or "life" of his own. He was reduced to holding up magazines to checkout girls in the hope that they would recognise him as the PM's partner. As you point out, however, he was the one who rose to the occasion in the end.
Posted by Poirot, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 5:44:17 PM
I don't think it would be easy being the PM's spouse, having publicly said you'd like to marry her, only to be rebuffed, and I don't think I'd recognise him either.

He hasn't exactly had a stellar career. Dreadful drink driving record.

They've taken all of those things and dramatised them, but given him something to improve his self-esteem.

As far as satire goes, it's pretty kind.
Posted by GrahamY, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 7:51:06 PM
That's why it's dull Graham.

Although Tony Abbott professed to have a 'belly laugh' at it. Go figure.
Posted by Bugsy, Tuesday, 13 September 2011 7:54:05 PM
I meant to watch but missed it.

I was interested though that my 24 year old son who is in no way conservative or a Julia supporter, said he felt quite uncomfortable with the idea of seeing the prime minister in her pyjamas and he wouldn't watch the promos. Hmmm very interesting.

He said that his friend, a Malaysian engineering student, thought it was 'awesome' that Aussies could make fun of their prime minister in this way.
Posted by Mollydukes, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 8:12:17 AM
At Home won't impact much on what people already think, as you argue there is already a lot of noise in the political and media landscape. This is guaranteed to drown out any interlopers. It is political satire which is not new to television eg. Max Gillies, John Clarke and Bryan Dawe.

I do remember John Howard and Keating being satirised mercilessley during their PMships, albeit the media landscape was not so feral and diverse as it is now. The Howards, Hawkes and Keatings did not have to contend so much with the emergence of internet commentary but there have always been Alan Jones's and the like to whip up hysteria.
Posted by pelican, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 8:31:52 AM
When I was a lad, we had this thing called 'cracker night'. I think it was around the queens birthday.

We used to build a bonfire, and atop of the bonfire, we would place a Manikin of the current political leader we hated at the time, usually the PM, or perhaps if there was some recent scandal, or we were bored withj making the PM every year, it would be a different MP or shadow MP. It was made from stockings and newspaper, and you could watch the nylon melt and the paper burn burn burn!

Not possible for todays youth.

Fireworks are banned.

I think Bonfires are probably banned too.

Yep. It's a pity.
Posted by Houellebecq, Wednesday, 14 September 2011 9:14:45 AM
As for the ABC being a niche broadcaster, Kath and Kim drew a wide following.

I wonder which is the greater distortion - "At Home with Julia" or the opposition's ranting about a fixed price on carbon.

As for the manner on the PM's election, there were no more "faceless men" involved than there are in any caucus decision, by any caucus in any Westminster system of government. If you want more faceless men, try the US presidential style of election.

If you want to find another way of turning out a PM for whatever reason, examine the US system of impeachment.

You can love to hate the PM and/or "At Home with Julia" if you wish, but don't forget to remember how totally bought is our major ally's current administration and legislature. Then, count your blessings.
Posted by Sir Vivor, Thursday, 15 September 2011 7:23:17 AM
Nothing new about political satire or taking the p*ss out of public figures and believe me I love good clever satire more than the average Joe. Can't however recall a show entirely dedicated to a single entity - let alone a PM (or equivalent) and their partner/househould here or overseas.

Took the trouble to watch last night and quite frankly felt a bit uncomfortable with the concept. Joolya deserves a fair lampooning not open slather on her partner and private life. Bit un-Australian I was thinking ...

Also it just wasn't funny. Even those who love to hate the Red Queen will likely not bother to tune in beyond 2 episodes - unless very easily amused. Hopefully poor ratings will kill off this poor excuse for comedy quickly. It's got to be an embarrassment to any half intelligent aussie
Posted by divine_msn, Thursday, 15 September 2011 2:49:28 PM
Its the typical home-breed humor even Paul Hogan would be proud of, and its good that the Australian Government loves to see:)

Provocative, and at least our ways of acting, since that's all we know. Obnoxious, rude, and the banjo loving anythings, that goes there ways of greatness..

If you cant have a laugh once in while, you've given up the ghost.

Do Australians really act like that? or are we just unique?

At home with the fake Julia....Yeah...whats the diff:) I'll bet shes just like us, well most of us anyway:)

cactus.
Posted by Cactus:), Thursday, 15 September 2011 4:37:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy