The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Reborn > Comments

Reborn : Comments

By Malcolm Colless, published 5/9/2011

Is a Rudd rebirth now inevitable?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Nothing is inevitable in politics. But Labor’s desire to have power for its own sake makes them victims to their own follies.

Rudd’s ego will lead him to take the position by any means available, and his ego will lead him to thrash around causing damage if he fails at the polls. Is this wise to set such a scenario into play?

What is far more critical is how the electorate will read such mendacity as a change of leadership for such purposes, as Colless’ analysis indicates, will involve. Who in Labor will stand and say Gillard is going for being inept; Rudd is back as the ‘fall guy’ so as to protect Labor’s rising stars from harm. Lies are never worth it.

Gillard could use the transparent failure of the UK’s trading scheme in which power generators took windfall profits from charging consumers for credits given to them freely to withdraw the carbon tax – there is a pressing need to find solutions not political expediencies to placate partners to a minority government.

One may have good grounds to believe the electorate is not impressed with minority government. A stand to end policy driven by minority supporters to the government may well win support from voters.

Colless’ predictions, however, are far more likely to come about as Labor is so divided within itself lacking any belief in something outside its pursuit of power for its own sake it is no longer capable of acting.

If Labor believes changes in those who set policy is required then it is time to bring the best to the position, not keep them in reserve in the interests of those individuals' political careers. Seeing Rudd as filling a duty to the party by taking the fall is failing to see Labor’s duty to Australia, it is time to bring on its best to serve the country
Posted by Cronus, Monday, 5 September 2011 11:42:31 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From where I sit in voter-land, it is journalists that seem to have the major problem with Kevin Rudd, them and the faction powerbrokers.

Kevin did say when he won in 07, that he would not kow-tow to the factions. The faction leaders flexed their muscle in ousting him.

It is odd that journos keep on about Rudd as dictator and his policy failures, when it is obvious that after he left the Labor party's bungles just got worse and worse. This makes me suspect that while Kevin Rudd was PM, he was having to deal with a stubbornly willful lot of egos in his cabinet and party.

What journo has bothered to critically look at how much truth others have been sprouting? They just keep on feeding us the same line when it in increasingly obvious that it somehow does not make sense.

I am of the opinion that Gillard is the token head of the rabble that Kevin Rudd had in some form of order until they spat the dummy, demanded things their way, and ousted him. This current govt is what resulted.

Therefore, much as I would like to see Kevin Rudd back as PM I think that if Labor is to rebuild they need to bush these poll-driven value-deficient second-rate-lawyer, career type candidates and support people with value, brains and integrity.

People cannot forgive Gillard and co for stating that Rudd had their full support and within days they were busy shafting him.

How, or why, would Kevin Rudd want to trust these folk and entrust them with the power of government.

As Xavier Herbert noted - Poor fella my country!
Posted by Aka, Monday, 5 September 2011 12:17:28 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
< Is a Rudd rebirth now inevitable? >

Ohh good lord, what a thought!!

Crikey Malcolm, you really do know how to depress someone on a Monday morning!

( :>(
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 5 September 2011 12:29:02 PM
[Deleted for abuse.]
Posted by John Ryan, Monday, 5 September 2011 12:34:12 PM
As I said in another thread, who would want Labor leadership?

Well, I think I have detected a predictive tool to ascertain that secret.

It was Rudd, on TV almost nightly, vowing undying love & loyalty to Kim Beasley, who was shouting the loudest, just before the knife went in to Kim, someone who most could respect.

It was the lovely Julia, who's devotion to Ruddy knew no bounds, who was shouting the loudest as the knife dripped blood. Not enough blood perhaps, as KRudd is a worse Foreign minister than he was PM, if that's possible.

So who will it be this time? One will start shouting, louder than the rest some time soon, & then we'll know. This time, hopefully, they'll use a hatchet, & complete the job properly. A phoenix with feathers dyed red we don't need.

Bring back Rudd the failure, the Libs must be praying. Six months would be enough to prove everyone was right the first time. It would confirm that if he's the best Labor have, it's time to administer the last rights.

It would be interesting to watch Brown sink the boot in, when Labor were on their knees begging for preferences.

What a horrible thought. Don't do it boys, one of you stand up. We, all of us, need a rejuvenated Labor, not a wake.

Just one thing, use the front door, & gain some respect.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 5 September 2011 2:00:00 PM
<< Bring back Rudd the failure.... Six months would be enough to prove everyone was right the first time. >>

Yep Hasbeen. Gotta agree with that.
Posted by Ludwig, Monday, 5 September 2011 2:07:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy