The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Australia alone!...And illiterate > Comments

Australia alone!...And illiterate : Comments

By Reg Little, published 17/8/2011

As the US struggles with the weight of it's financial debt, China grows in power...Is East overtaking the West?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
>>This is the danger that the US dollar may lose its standing as the global reserve currency, and that the Pentagon will lose its access to an almost unlimited chequebook.>>

I think that's the best thing that could ever happen to the US. It would be the remaking of America.

I find difficulty believing that a country ruled by a leadership that is so afraid of its own people it encloses the whole country in a firewall can become a global leader.

Don't get me wrong. I have no doubt China will become a great power. But there are already signs it is spooking its neighbours who seem to want to keep the US involved as a counterweight. While I doubt we shall see the emergence of an Asian NATO I think a number of informal alliances involving the US are already springing up.

As for Australia, it will continue to be what it has been since World War 2, a minor power with ideas above its station.
Posted by stevenlmeyer, Wednesday, 17 August 2011 10:40:58 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks Reg. At the moment I keep wondering about what we could learn from the Scandinavian countries who have had to live in the shadow of a much greater power.

The more disturbing thought that occurred to me while reading your piece was about the smaller south american countries in the shadow of the US

I do wonder why Australia isn't discussing what we can learn from these smaller countries - rather than just kow-towing to the latest global bully - how we can move to being part of the Chinese empire as we were under the American and the British.
Posted by Evan Hadkins, Wednesday, 17 August 2011 11:51:00 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes a changing world you have, funny how its works:) it's like the more you have, the less you've got. Its all about the space you have and the less room for mistakes, like Japan.....and its melt downs.....its only a tiny planet.....I can show you how to fix it, but you need to want it.

7 billion.....not a happy planet. Just look at the facts.....then with reduction, how can you go wrong:)

Sorry for off topic, but its reliance......Dont destroy what your going to get:)

Australians are being replaced by 3 worlds and this is not a way out.

The world as one or loose the lot.

its your choice.

LEAP
Posted by Quantumleap, Wednesday, 17 August 2011 5:52:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Reg Little

Is it to be from religion to religion and… from empire to empire?

Is there no escaping from this prison alive?

If we are doomed, why we succumb without any attempt at freedom?

The dictum “Graecia capta ferum victorem cepit” has been with us since the Romans conquered Greece and tells us that if Australians had a truly democratic system of government, Emperors as well as any free loader would stay well clear of this country.

But we have chosen to call the system of our governance ‘Democratic’ knowing it to be plain blasphemy and our prison is the prison of our lies.

Our condition is, hence, terminal!
Posted by skeptic, Wednesday, 17 August 2011 8:40:38 PM
I would of thought STAR-WARS was the humans-condition....but China is, and will be the prodigality of ( One who is given to wasteful luxury or extravagance.....is not the JET-I.

China well see the world as it is, A banana anyone, but not the true monkey....The true monkey is with-in is all, but can we play together?

This is the true test of man, and no-thing else.

LEAP
Posted by Quantumleap, Wednesday, 17 August 2011 9:54:09 PM
Is there no escaping from this prison alive? ......as some love it:)..and who is the Anticommunists eye shadows in the dark lands?

Politics has no trust.....with the people....and I wonder who or what......has given this?

Tony or Jill....only the greens can give the future wealth.....well who would you put in governance, when the very planet all need to live on, at the exspence of what we need!

POINT! There will be....and the rest is unknown.

I see the time at 10: 17 pm.....

LEAP
Posted by Quantumleap, Wednesday, 17 August 2011 10:19:29 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy