The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Czechmated into irrelevance > Comments

Czechmated into irrelevance : Comments

By Thom Woodroofe, published 15/8/2011

Was the Czech President's visit to Australia simply a money-making stage show? And what does his country think about it?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Not exactly an unbiased article, was it?

Anyway - the author is only 21, GREEN between and behind his ears, so I guess, can be forgiven! :-) I watched Václav Klaus' interview on the ABC's "National Press Club" [where he was ceremoniously presented with a pen :-] and must admit that he spoke eloquently and with conviction. The press correspondents in attendance treated him with courtesy and fairly. Sure, he was 'flogging' his book - but he also gave a clear outline of his position on global warming and climate change. Again, I guess that if you live in a country that often has temperatures reaching 20 degrees below zero, a few extra degrees of "warmth' would be quite inviting! :-) As for Thom Woodroofe, I would have written on his paper : "B- shows promise, but must not let his fantasies run way with the facts."

Yuri K. (retired academic)...
Posted by Yuri, Monday, 15 August 2011 2:21:16 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Regardless of his point of view what was interesting about this article was the context in which it occurred.

A head of state was invited by a private organization which is a partisan propaganda factory for the right-wing of the Liberal party to give speeches on a highly controversial topic.

Any kind of diplomatic protocol re the visits of heads of state whether real or "ceremonial" was completely ignored. His visit was not granted official recognition by either the Governor General, the Federal Government, or even State Premiers.

There are of course diplomatic protocols which circumscribe the kinds of things that heads of state should say IN PUBLIC FORUMS when visiting other countries.

There was a report in the paper re this chaps arrival in Oz-land.

This chap was so full of his own strutting self-importance that when he fronted up to customs for identification he presumed that because he was so "important" that he could strut right through.

Usually in the scheme of things important people, especially heads of state, arrange beforehand the necessary procedures to forgo the usual process of identification that us hoi-polloi have to endure.

This was not done with this chap so he was told that he had to go through the same procedures as everyone else.

Retreating and protesting of course, but don't you know who I am?

Yes just another human being with the same rights and obligations as everyone else, so get in line and follow the prescribed procedures.
Posted by Ho Hum, Monday, 15 August 2011 2:34:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Interesting ho hum, yet Tony Blair was visiting in an "unofficial capacity" and was welcomed warmly by the government ..

I guess it helps he was pimping "clean energy solutions", it's not about morals or ethics, the government tries to pick winners and publicly declares anyone who questioned them will not be listened to, in their "debate"

The person who wrote the article is possibly angry at the turn of events, that the "consensus science" is being turfed out, is no longer believed and is generally doubted, so are the scientists of that "science", rightly so to .. the ones not involved directly, let it happen.

Fewer Australians than ever believe in it, so the latest tactic is to attack every single person as they raise their heads above the ramparts .. previously they were ignored (except by our government whose egos preclude vision).. score one for the skeptics, no longer ignored, they are now the majority.

Regardless of the hate attacks, like this, skepticism is only felled by such behavior

"A head of state was invited by a private organization which is a partisan propaganda factory"

so now we have the author, who set up his own "propaganda factory", responding.

Do you see the irony in this ho hum? The believers are thrashing around trying to find traction, and this is the best they can do .. oh well, ho hum, snore.
Posted by rpg, Monday, 15 August 2011 4:47:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Never mind that Tony Blair is no longer the Prime Minister of the UK, but a private citizen (with a great deal of both baggage, and perhaps clout in international forums).

He has at least set up and sponsored organizations and forums which endeavor to promote ecumenical understanding, or cooperation, tolerance and peace.

He is of course also, under international law, a war criminal, as are his fellow leaders of the coalition of the killing.
Posted by Ho Hum, Monday, 15 August 2011 5:10:21 PM
Suprise suprise, I find my self agreeing with one of the denialist rat pack.

“He is of course also, under international law, a war criminal, as are his fellow leaders of the coalition of the killing.”

Hear. Hear. I hope to live to see the day when he along with Howard and dubbya are all put on trial at The Hague for war crimes.
Posted by sarnian, Monday, 15 August 2011 5:34:36 PM
Hey Thom,

Did you know that the latest peer-reviewed climate science literature, from former and current climate warmists, reveals (1) that CO2 emissions follow from increases in global temperatures, (2) that the rate of sea level increases are decelerating and (3) that average global surface temperatures over the past decade are actually falling.

Now those three issues are the basis of you green ravers evidence of global wasrming.

Can you please direct me to the current, and I mean current peer reviewed climate science literature that disputes the indication of global cooling in the current peer reviewed climate science literature.

No I didn't think you could!

Now there's your cue to abuse me ... if you dare!
Posted by imajulianutter, Monday, 15 August 2011 6:53:58 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy