The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Sex and injury compo claims may spell doom for out of town work trips > Comments

Sex and injury compo claims may spell doom for out of town work trips : Comments

By Brett Wilson, published 5/8/2011

'On the job' takes on a whole new meaning under workers compensation laws.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I would have thought that the emplyees would be given separate rooms and beds, if thats the case then someone is in the wrong room or bed. Maybe the hotel only had one room for all, anyway the fixture that broke certainly threw some fresh light on what was supposed to be activity that would have otherwise been kept in the dark. Compensation?.................Please, do me a favour, if the sex was that bad sue the guy.
Posted by westozzy, Friday, 5 August 2011 5:35:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If she or her lawyer had any brains, they should have kept quiet about the sex and just claimed against the hotel for the light falling her whilst she lay in the bed.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 5 August 2011 11:04:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Only a 'Public Servant' could make such a brazen claim ... This wouldn't have happened 20 years ago when the concept that blame for consequences of an individuals actions must be attributed anywhere bar their own feet was relatively new and fuzzy.

Apart from the obvious fact that her sexual activity had no connection with work, I wonder about the accommodation itself.

Surely the Employer would have arranged and paid for SINGLE accommodation? What were the terms and conditions of that accommodation? Was the 'extra guest' allowable under the terms? Was there a fault with the light fitting that caused it to become dislodged easily? Otherwise was it the 'unruly' behaviour of Ms Shagalot and/or her fck buddy which caused damage to the property which in turn resulted in injury? In the first instance the Motel may have a case to answer, not the Employer. In the second the Motel may be within its rights to seek recompense for property damage.

Another question - if Ms Shagalot was getting it on against a tree in the Motel gardens and a spider bit her bum, would her Employer be liable for costs of treatment and psychological damage due to resulting arachnophobia?

Honestly - if Shagalot wins her case then all I can say is common sense and fairness have completely disappeared from the Industrial judicial system and God help we mugs who pay taxes for the likes of this 'lady' to rip off the system.

Please - dismiss her claim and give her the opportunity to find work in the private sector!
Posted by divine_msn, Friday, 5 August 2011 11:39:22 AM
VK3AUU

My thought exactly. If the light fitting had fallen on her while she slept, then it is a clear case of compensation. One can only assume that the sex was so vigorous... I mean were they swinging off the chandeliers? In which case they could be said to have contributed to the injury.

Personally, I believe that many people are simply outraged that a woman was completely upfront and honest about the background her injury (a little too honest methinks) and if the sex did not contribute to the fallen light fitting, then she is just as entitled to compensation as if the accident had occurred while sleeping.
Posted by Ammonite, Friday, 5 August 2011 12:38:06 PM
What I dont understand is why the claim against the employer?

I can see a valid claim against the motel/hotel if she was injured because of a faulty light fitting.

But to claim on workers comp seems a bit rich.
Posted by Banjo, Friday, 5 August 2011 2:47:21 PM
Maybe the fitting wasn't at fault Banjo? I think worker's comp is payable when you are injured for whatever reason.
Posted by GrahamY, Friday, 5 August 2011 6:04:08 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy