The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Climate change action needed to address global poverty > Comments

Climate change action needed to address global poverty : Comments

By Lena Aahlby, published 29/7/2011

The impacts of climate related disasters such as the one currently unfolding in the Horn of Africa could be reduced by building resilience in communities.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I wish we could reduce the problems in Somalia and surrounding countries to one issue such as climate change but alas, it's far more complex than that. It involves tribal politics, corruption, arms trading, gang warfare and logistical nightmares getting these people food.

The warlords in Mogadishu probably are not greatly interested in Australia's carbon debate and may not be immediately convinced re the efficacy of some statements by Clover Moore, Greenpeace and the protest industry about global warming. It's short sighted of them.
Posted by Cheryl, Friday, 29 July 2011 7:17:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Because, of course, there were no droughts in Africa before 'global warming' began:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drought

It's commendable that the author wants to help people who are suffering. But good science will help them more than bad science and ideologically-motivated gestures.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 29 July 2011 7:20:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Very sad but very true and almost totally irrelevant. The problem is the rapidly rising population in the region.
Take Ethiopia as an example. In 1984 there were food shortages and the
population was around 40 million.In response to this Bob Geldof organised giant musical concerts in America and Europe which brought in vast amounts of money to feed the hungry. By doing this he saved many lives
Now 27 years later food is again so short that they are issuing a disaster appeal. The population has grown from 40 to 80 million but of this important fact you say nothing. It is blindingly obvious that the rising population is an important factor in causing the disaster. However much money you raise and spend on emergency food
aid and improving the agriculture in Ethiopia there will continue to be food shortages because there will be more mouths to feed. I believe you are deceiving everyone by ignoring this fact
If you feed the the hungry but do not provide family planning clinics giving mothers the CHOICE about the size of their families you will increase the number of hungry people in the next generation.
This is the first essential which should have priority over all other aid
Posted by Dickybird, Friday, 29 July 2011 7:38:49 AM
Head of campaigning for who?

Just what we need, more campaigners for more fringe operations.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 29 July 2011 8:32:24 AM
Small farmers in Africa are amongst the most inefficient in regards to productivity in the world. They don't have access to proper seed stock, fertilisers, equipment or know how.

The reason that they are small farmers is largely because the economy they live in is shot from corruption and governmental mismanagement.

Any money should be spent on ensuring proper governance, not supporting a model doomed to failure.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 29 July 2011 8:48:15 AM
This is why my charity is GuideDogs Australia, they tend not to exaggerate or try to emotionally trick me with cherry picked information.

The article reflects the sheer opportunism of our age, the sense of entitlement to say whatever you like if you believe it is right for you to, to befuddle the simple to get your own way.

Only the simple and gullible would not realize that droughts are natural, as is flooding. How do you trust someone who is prepared to create stories like this? I would wonder at what was being done with my money if the industry is prepared to behave like this .. is there really a problem, or is it just a self serving circular industry ensuring its own fiscal survival, of the management of the industry, it makes you wonder how much makes it to the actual subject of this article.

Sure, great intentions but when you resort to such trickery, you have to question the honesty of the industry.

I remember the droughts of the 60s and 70s .. back before the increasing CO2 "had" any effect.
Posted by rpg, Friday, 29 July 2011 8:52:05 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy