The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Ageing populations need not be disastrous for Western governments > Comments

Ageing populations need not be disastrous for Western governments : Comments

By Valerie Yule, published 27/7/2011

Challenges to the environment are more disastrous for Western governments than an ageing population.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
The gen X and Y need to be reminded, that is is the baby boomers who have provided all the infrastructure that they currently enjoy the use of, so they shouldn't get to precious about having to support them in their dotage.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Wednesday, 27 July 2011 4:02:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear VK3AUU,
Very Succinctly voiced, I am with you. by the way, is VK3AUU a radio
call user ID?, you don't have to answer of course.
Cheers David,
NSB
Posted by Noisy Scrub Bird, Wednesday, 27 July 2011 5:55:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can remember that one of the reasons why the British opened their doors to immigration after WW2 was the necessity of personnel to implement the National Health Service.

Fifty six years have gone by and that service is still in need of competent staff.

I believe that Valerie Yule with this article wanted to highlight the fact that, if one of the reasons for accepting migrants is that of alleviating the need of man power to look after our ageing people, we are on the wrong track.

The newcomers themselves will be ageing, sooner than we hoped and, they will need care.

What then? We’ll we have to ask for more migrants?

Political solutions are absurd devices to be of any value in solving human problems
Posted by skeptic, Wednesday, 27 July 2011 8:19:44 PM
"to keep the support ratio of workers to dependents constant. South Korea, for example, would need 94 million immigrants per year, almost twice its current population, adding up to 5.1 billion by 2050."

Er... No. The population of South Korea is given by Wikipedia as 48 million. I don't know of any mathematics that would require twice as many people to move there PER YEAR to maintain any kind of ratio in the original population. I think this calls for a correction -- or a retraction.

When people can put forward 'statistics' like this without blinking, it shows a degree of carelessness that brings the rest of their claims into doubt.
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 28 July 2011 6:36:52 AM
JonJ. You have to remember that there are "liar, damned liars and statisticians".

NSB. Google me.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 28 July 2011 9:08:06 AM
Aspley and Divergence... PartTime here.

Apsley, I don't understand your comment at all. For your information, I was born just after/at the end of the baby boom. So I spent my university days and my 20's and early 30's as a greenie leftie feminist idealist. I even worked for about ten years for organisations like Greenpeace, the communist party, Wilderness Society, ALP and unions.

THat was until I saw the harm that these "ism"s, these secular religions, these zealot-filled doctrines are doing. I worked on a government funded 'education kit' funded to try to reduce youth suicide... sadly it was hijacked by feminist religion and told youth-workers to listen to the verbally expressive girl, and ignore the real suicide risk... the silent detached boy. THis kit killed people. But it advanced the feminist religion.

Divergence, thaoughtfull points. thankyou.
1: the pop growth you mention includes net immigration. Natural increase are other unimportant things that are effectively one-offs that move births to this time, but don't increase the total. For example the age profiles you discuss. The fact is our fertility rate is still 1.8-something for every two adults (for every woman)... which is a dying population.

Mark O'Connor has it the wrong way around "[Bernard, you’ve done it again! The correct calculation is that in 2015 the working-age population will increase by 290,000 minus 246,000 = plus 44,000." What Marks calculation shows is that the working age population is still 44,000 larger than the retirees... a worsening of the dependance ratio, not an improvement.

Arguments about the details aside, I don't mean to insult the BB's, just point out that we are a dying race and that feminism is a major part of the cause.

Parttimeparent@pobox.com
Posted by partTimeParent, Thursday, 28 July 2011 12:26:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy