The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Constitution an “Alice in Wonderland” view of democracy and rights > Comments

Constitution an “Alice in Wonderland” view of democracy and rights : Comments

By James Allan, published 22/7/2011

The Greens want to avoid putting any specific alternative up against the status quo because they realise it would likely lose – better to start with vague, amorphous, indeterminate and gaseous platitudes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Kenny was of course correct.

Allan writes regular columns for the OZ which is on the public record re its mission to destroy the greens. Which is course their perfect right in a democracy.

He is also a contributor to a new book titled The Greens: Politics Reality & Consequences.
A book which is promoted as featuring the opinions of numerous "distinguished experts", all of whom are the usual hollow men who erroneously believe that both human population and the consumer society can expand for forever and a day.
Meanwhile of course, at this stage nobody really knows what the future of the Greens will be, and more importantly the consequences of their various policies.
This publisher of this new book has also published a book titled Test Everything by that chap who wears the funny clothes in Sydney, and who presumes to know the "will of'God'".
Having tried to read various bits of the book in the now defunct Borders, I must say that it one of the most pathetic books on "God", religion and "theology" that I have ever attempted to read.
And yet the author is promoted as THE leading "light" of catholic intellectual and theological opinion in Australia - and even in the world.
Posted by Ho Hum, Friday, 22 July 2011 1:31:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Australians are too stupid to be given the choice of right now on constitutional change, so we should leave it alone for maybe 20 or 30 years and hope we smarten up.

We've got a PM who lied on the eve of the last election, has basically stolen an election and if we learn one thing only from that, it is not to trust people who want power so bad they will do or say anything to get it, Greens included.

We are living a train smash, and in years to come will be able to see it for what it is. The ALP and Greens want everyone to stop questioning what they believe is right and correct, and that makes me want to trust them even less.

They know they are unpopular, and want to mandate popularity for themselves and outlaw dissent .. totalitarianism it is called.

The coalition might be better or worse, but that's irrelevant as they have no power and are doing their job, as an opposition it is to question and oppose (as the ALP did in opposition)

When the greens are exterminated, at the next election, and the deal driven lack of morals and ethics party of the ALP is decimated, we'll have to rebuild the country .. then way after that, we might look at this again.

Not now, we are in too much distress and have no leaders to trust.
Posted by Amicus, Friday, 22 July 2011 2:49:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Amicus, speaking of wall to wall lies, how many lies did Howard tell us when he joined up to in the coalition of the killing in the illegal invasion of Iraq?

How many people were killed as a result of those lies?

How many international conventions on the conduct of international affairs were effectively trashed by this illegal mis-adventure?

Was the world made a safer and saner place?

NO!
Posted by Ho Hum, Friday, 22 July 2011 2:56:25 PM
@Kenny, @morganzola, @Ho Hum,

Thanks for the background. I could not make sense of the article when I read it. You comments put the point he is trying to make into perspective.

It was very odd. Usually Professor of Law's are very articulate, and the point behind their articles is clear. In hindsight I guess it's obvious the article is just a collection of grapeshot fired at the greens. I just wasn't expecting it from to come from such a source.
Posted by rstuart, Friday, 22 July 2011 3:13:49 PM
Shock, horror, the Greens are being treated like every other political organization in Australia .. who'd have thought?

People are giving them the scrutiny they need and dissecting the way they go about things, no more vague aspersions being cast without question.

They should be pleased.

"Green-bashing articles that have been published here lately", yes usually it is Coalition based bashing, do I see you all complaining then?

ho hum, let it go, PM (MOS) Howard, is gone, out of office and to pasture. BTW, PM Hawke led the first adventure into Iraq, is he of the "coalition of the killing", or was that "special"?

Talk about language of the left demonizing people. Anyway PM (MOS) Howard acted under UN articles, as did Hawke .. nothing illegal about it and you know it, this is just emotional language and hand wringing.

Trying to distract from the disaster of the ALP/Greens is disingenuous and is off topic deliberately to bait and switch .. hey, just like the current government of liars!
Posted by rpg, Friday, 22 July 2011 4:07:12 PM
The Greens are confronted both by a complacently affluent democracy and the hard reality that the modern West is rapacious and unsustainable. They are forced to fight within the restrictions of the political arena.
When it comes to environmentalism, democracy in the modern West is a comprehensive failure, so I frankly don't care what the referenda decided; history shows that when it comes to national Green politics, if it's popular or unpopular, it must be wrong; that is, the majority is always wrong. There have been the occasional local concessions to the Greens, but these were token gestures towards local communities that had no effect on Australians at large, who were thus happy to get behind them and earn a Koala stamp.
So James Allan's article just tells me what I already new; vested interests are impervious to long term considerations. Altruism doesn't stand a chance.
It must be soul destroying being a genuine Greenie, having to get down and dirty in the cynical world of popular politics.
Posted by Squeers, Friday, 22 July 2011 4:15:44 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy