The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The rise of the Greens: politics and the supernatural > Comments

The rise of the Greens: politics and the supernatural : Comments

By David Castles, published 14/7/2011

The Greens are an alternate religion encroaching on the turf rightfully held by the established churches.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
A nice stimulating article from Mr Castles.

I would like to focus on some of the early comments in response - particularly along the lines of "The greens are a religion!"

Someone even went as far as "Not a religion, eh, Mr Castles?"
Well... no. He didn't say anything of the sort.

The thing about a vague nebulous word like Religion is that it can mean almost any set of beliefs and principles - especially if held and defended with passion.
Holding principles and being prepared to defend them isn't itself a bad thing.
The "Dark Side" of the religious mode of thought is when it becomes dogmatic, inflexible, judgmental, controlling, impervious to reason etc.

All political ideologies - Left, Right, Green and brown have the potential to fall into that mode.

What Mr Castles article does is to point out that a good deal of the more strident and heated opposition to The Greens comes from that Dark Side of the more tradition and conservative religious elements in our society.
That's worth thinking about.
It's worth saying.
Posted by Richo Of Tasmania, Thursday, 14 July 2011 11:19:20 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am a Member of the ALP, and anti green.
I was not always, truly am not sure if I was blind or if they are just getting worse.
I fear for my country, much more for the standard of political debate,the true understanding of party's and issues.
And the impacts on Australia.
I blame,honestly truly totally, Murdock press his ownership kills, in my view honest news reporting.
I can find much to fear, to concern me, in the greens.
But question the fairness/understanding and maybe IQ of those claiming they are or such. Nazi.
Yes it is true, they have no power at all, nothing can be done by them.
Without the support of other party's.
Currently that party is mine, now lets stop the shouting!
Tony Abbott, yes our Tony say no, tried EVERYTHING to get them on his side, EVERYTHING!
If, and it was a chance they said yes, todays ilthought out damning would be aimed at him.
INDEPENDENTS not conservatives PAST conservatives refugees from their once party, and a green elected on LIBERAL preferences keep Labor in power.
Abbott, without a single policy of worth, with both saddle bags full of non core promises, rides in Comfort the Murdock carriage, maybe only as an informed passenger.
Yet here time and again we see things like most posts in this thread, highlighting indeed spotlighting, magnifying inventing problems and ignoring our country is as much a victims, our Medea has driven political discussion in to the lower end of the gene pool.
I reserve the right to one day put in print, if allowed my reasons for thinking most Australians could never bring them selves to vote green, balance however not silly claims from extremism.
Posted by Belly, Thursday, 14 July 2011 11:30:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bad boy!

I told you: Don’t put your finger in the pie!

I am talking of the pie that Adele Ferguson in Business Review Weekly (March 24-30-2005) called- “The $70 billions Sacred Cow”- that you should leave alone.

But things have changed in the last six years; the Cow has gone fatter and a number of new heifers are feeding in the same lot.

See later, I hope
Posted by skeptic, Thursday, 14 July 2011 11:35:38 AM
An interesting article.

I thought OLO's Graham's article in The Oz was very good.

I want to like the Greens. I really do. They look earnest and dedicated to wiping the smiles of our faces when we do something wrong, like making money or building a desalination plant.

I remember when I was just a twinkle in my Dad's eye there was a party called the Democrats - full of teachers and researchers. They fought amongst themselves and in the end destroyed the party.

Going right back there was the DLP, who also fought amongst themselves and with almost everyone else, including the ALP - which kept them out of power for 20 years.

It's the time of the Greens. I just hope they hang around long enough to do some good - and not block supply.
Posted by Cheryl, Thursday, 14 July 2011 12:08:40 PM
@ Morganzola.
I did read the article correctly, as I said in the other thread, I'd be MORE inclined to vote for them if they ditched the Judeo Christian guilt and the neo Marxist foolishness and were genuinely "Pagan", in the modern sense of the word.
"Pagans" don't believe in Apocalypse and the closed systems that flow from that way of thinking, Nature worship is based on renewal and rebirth, eternity is now, so to speak.
A higher purpose or spirituality is a precondition of human existence, not to mention happiness and wellbeing, if the Greens can capture that then they'll be a real agent of change.
A "Green Revolution" can't happen in a soulless post modern "flatland" of Liberal levelling and neo Marxist social control, it has to be based in the primal and the primeval, the base clay, if you will of our polytheistic, "organic" past.
I think Julius Evola, a thoroughly modern man said it best:
"When people look into my eyes I want them to see ancient Rome".
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Thursday, 14 July 2011 1:01:55 PM
Yes everybody is religious including those that presume to be stridently anti-religious. As is the case with some of the regular contributors to this forum who stridently subscribe to the now world-dominant "religion" of scientism - JonJ for instance

A quote from my favourite "Philosopher"

The human world is now ruled by the point of view of scientific materialism.
Scientific materialism has deprived humankind of all profundity of view - relative to the nature and significance of the conditional universe, and relative to the Reality of the Divine
Scientific materialism is a global cultural "program", which has so effectively supported the ego's motive to achieve a perfectly independent state of "self-sufficiency" that, as a result, the human collective has brought itself to the point of global destruction and universal despair.

Plus this reference describes the baneful limitations of the mind forged manacles (Blake) or iron cage (Weber) in which we now ALL trapped. With NO exceptions including all of those that presume to be religious in the conventional sense.

http://www.aboutadidam.org/lesser_alternatives/scientific_materialism/index.html

Ancient Rome and Julius Evola?
No thanks!
It was a slave state and a brutalistic empire.
All such appeals to the GORY days of the presumed "golden" past are indicative of how we are completely devoid of any living Wisdom Tradition.
Posted by Ho Hum, Thursday, 14 July 2011 1:41:25 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy