The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A song and dance in China > Comments

A song and dance in China : Comments

By Brian Hennessy, published 6/7/2011

What can we make of the reappearance of Maoist-era revolutionary rhetoric in China?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Until recently Bo Xilai wasn't in the running to join the committee of 8 Chinese leaders who really run the show.

He's still a long shot to make this cut this round, but I'd say he's a shoe-in for the following committee.

The songs represent just one aspect of the experiment Bo Xilai's been undertaking in Chongqing. There have been substantial economic reforms, (thought I'd argue they're more of a regression and represent further control by the state over private property) and the acquisition of the TV station was one example of this.

There's a great article here: http://cmp.hku.hk/2011/06/01/12940/

Which includes extensive commentary by one of the journalists laid off when the TV station was acquired. It offers a glimpse of the kind of mindset behind these changes.

I don't think the primary reason for this red culture revival is the leadership transition, although that's certainly an influential element. I'd say it's primarily a drive by Bo Xilai to cement his own place within the hierarchy and partly an effort to address an ideological vacuum in modern China.
Posted by TurnRightThenLeft, Wednesday, 6 July 2011 10:00:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's our fault, actually.

We - along with the US and Europe - are demonstrating exactly how self-destructive our version of an over-engineered, capitalist-democratic society can be. Being the ever-patient observer that they are, they have noticed a couple of interesting aspects.

One is that our version of democracy has now come full-circle, to a position where the people have no say at all in what form the government takes - this being firmly in the hands of a dynastic political class that feeds itself first, and the people second. A situation they are not only mightily familiar with, but are also totally comfortable with. Why give the people the opportunity to go through a few generations of unnecessary political upheaval, only to end up where they started?

The other is that they have noticed that the "governments" that they observe all display a total lack of moral or ethical fibre, simply setting their goals in terms of self-perpetuation, and the preservation of an elitist lifestyle. Working in partnership with those who actually drive the economy through industry and commerce, the political class has found the perfect symbiotic relationship that keeps them and their families on a perpetual gravy-train.

It all shouts to them - why change? It inevitably will lead back to the same place in the end, after all.

Makes perfect sense to me.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 6 July 2011 10:53:06 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Brian

A good article - I think your closest to it on your themes of present day guided capitalism, Party legitimacy, simplicity for the young and good old days for the old.

In a nutshell its about treating the past, and past leaders, with rose-coloured glasses.

Accuracy about the Mao-harder communist era is not required - the simple brand sells.

For cross cultural comparisons the good old days under Uncle Joe Stalin appeal to a significant number of nationalist Russians. Then Australia has its own rose-coloured revered helmsman (Gough Whitlam). Gough's 1972-75 interlude of perpetual mismanagement benefitted greatly from the good-die(or Kerred)-young (a la JFK, Che Guevara) effect.

Charisma or Nostalgia (CON) always trumps able government until the public wake up to weaknesses of the CON artist.

Pete
Posted by plantagenet, Wednesday, 6 July 2011 12:14:43 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy