The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Creating a care economy > Comments

Creating a care economy : Comments

By Tanja Kovac, published 29/6/2011

In both the public and private spheres, the undervaluing of care work has led to inequities in pay, employment and wellbeing between women and men.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
It is indeed encouraging to see such an article by Tanja Kovac. From my reading of political history the trailblazers in the political arena were women whose concern was first and foremost the plight of women and children. Edith Cowan (married with 5 children), Dorothy Tangney (unmarried but a fierce advocate for women and children all of her life), Edith Lyons (married with 11 children). They were women dedicated to the social causes that strengthened society and issues that went to the protection and dignity of women. Dorothy Tangney in particular was ferocious in her championing for university funding, for education as the foundation stone of a good life, and the need for state support to women “whose work in caring …prevented them from entering paid labour…”

The Labor party in the last thirty years has used women as a political tool, not to better their circumstances but to fill a purely political vacuum. Labor established a quota system to get women into parliament something I find inherently insulting and inherently patronising because, let's be honest here, it was the blokes who decided it should be so.

Tanja Kovac is absolutely right that the creation of a care economy is the unfinished business of the women's revolution. And it is business that has been left unfinished by the feminists who've held sway since the 1950s and 1960s. Feminism lost its caring heart and abandoned women in caring roles in no-man’s-land when a ceasefire in the battle of the sexes was called.

In an article "Care as a Basis for Radical Political Judgments" Joan Tronto says that the ethic of care supports a "climate for good political judgments". Her definition of care is all the things we do to "maintain, continue, and repair our world so that we can live in it as well as possible". Care reflects the lived experiences of people and "entails a basic value: that proper care for others is a good, and that humans in society should strive to enhance the quality of care in their world".
Posted by Dr Bartolo's ward, Wednesday, 29 June 2011 2:22:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Whilst I agree with the contention that caring is undervalued in our society and because of this the people who care are losing economically and socially, it concerns me that the leap has been made that because women are the majority of carers, caring is a female responsibility.

I do not believe progress will be made whilst this attitude is prevalent. I suggest the two are kept separate. If the loss of value for caring is looked at for it's own significance would this not lead to change in societal appreciation of caring? Could it not then follow, once caring is given value, that the strength and empowerment of the female gender, a separate but intertwined issue, would also flourish? And, forgive me for dreaming, there may be a possible evening of the involvement of the sexes in the carer roles due to the new found value.

Feminism is an important concept, which must continue to be pushed and upheld vehermently but I don't believe we are helping anyone by confusing the issues
Posted by Pumpkinhead, Thursday, 30 June 2011 11:04:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
However, whilst caring is a female responsibility and whilst the community is shaped as if this is the norm, perhaps an attempt to de-gender the issues so as to include men (where they are not currently involved) might have mischievous results? If action is to be taken to enshrine the value of caring work, surely that action will include male workers
Posted by ruthie2011, Thursday, 30 June 2011 11:38:21 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am sorry but the statistical data stated in the article shows that caring does involve men, and to a significant level, that is greater than 10%. The numerics are similar, if reversed, to those of our female judges. Do we consider that judging is men's work, or do we feel that judging is an occupation that currently has significantly more men working in the role, but is not men's work per se? I know I am an advocate of more equality in both industries.

All I am trying to say is both the undervaluing of carers, and feminism and equality for women are important aspects of our society but that they should be considered separately even though there is an obvious overlap. We do not need to exclude men in order to include women.
Posted by Pumpkinhead, Thursday, 30 June 2011 12:00:02 PM
Yes, unpaid caring work is sometimes done by men. Paid caring work is also sometimes done by men. However, Kate Bambrick-Browne of the UNSW (Sunday Telegraph Oct. 2010) says that the majority of unpaid caring work is undertaken by women. Further, this continues even where women are involved in paid work as well. Kay Kociumbas, in her fascinating book "Australian Childhood A History', describes how caring work was made into paid labour (or under paid labour) in the twentieth century, when there grew a need to keep working class women content, whilst creating them work.

Drawing attention to the fact that sometimes men undertake this work does nothing for the status quo, for either the male or female who is doing the work. The thing that is demeaned, is the value of the work, and the value of the object of care, the child, aged or otherwise infirm person. Were this to be properly addressed, perhaps our view of the value of these people would increase, leading to improved working conditions for anyone undertaking care.
Posted by ruthie2011, Thursday, 30 June 2011 1:33:19 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“The creation of a care economy is not just women's work.”

Where has the author been all these years?

We have wide ranging legislation that was once under the umbrella of “duty of care” legislation, but now resides under “Risk Management” legislation.

This legislation overrides all other legislation.

No other legislation can override risk management legislation, and risk management legislation is the basis of not just the economy, but of most of our society.

Sorry to break this news to the author and her rather suspect group, but women do not have a monopoly on “care”.

Duty of care and risk management legislation has been around for many decades, and the vast majority of the regulations, standards and codes of practice incorporated were implemented by men.

Why?

Because they care.

It is beyond all comprehension how the author can be a lawyer, and has not heard of “duty of care” or “risk management” legislation.

I would think that this portrayal of women as being the only “carers” is yet another attempt at negative portrayal of the male gender.
Posted by vanna, Thursday, 30 June 2011 7:39:33 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy