The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gay refugee rights: legislation and human rights law > Comments

Gay refugee rights: legislation and human rights law : Comments

By Jo Coghlan, published 28/6/2011

While homosexuality remains a crime 80 UN member countries it remains a valid condition of refugee status.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Excellent article Jo. Gay refugee rights would be leap forward to where we sit in a legal limbo.

Our migration assessment officers will need to be issued with a detailed set of guidelines that skilfully captures the harsh behaviour that would justify the granting of gay and gender identity refugee status.

Whilst I agree that Africa has the worst continental record of homophobia, there is at least one beacon of hope in the South. I know of some fortunate GLBTIQ Africans who have managed to travel to South Africa to marry under their enlightened marriage laws.

I hope that recognition of gay married couples from other countries will be given legal recognition in Australia under our migration laws. Hopefully this would happen at the same time that our Federal Parliament resolves to take the same giant leap in Australian human rights that many other countries have achieved in the face of vehement opposition from certain religious leaders.
Posted by Quick response, Wednesday, 29 June 2011 2:38:27 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy