The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Collapseology: why this should be shaping Australian public policy > Comments

Collapseology: why this should be shaping Australian public policy : Comments

By Fiona Heinrichs, published 21/6/2011

The prospect of collapse of the wider global framework puts the Australian immigration and population debate in a new perspective and challenges unquestioned assumptions.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. All
Pure delusion, Sardine.

>>And that would be when I arrived here.<<

What makes you think this is about you?

>>You were awfully brave when you attacked a soft target like a pack of wolves weren't you?<<

Ummm, where did I do that? When I questioned the writer's flimsy logic, absence of fact and selective supporting opinion? Well, boo hoo.

>>Just to be clear here Pericles, you have asserted directly that growth in GDP per capita is correlated with population growth with the inference being that the former is a consequence of the latter.<<

Just to be clear, that is absolute bull, and you know it.

The only reason you are still blustering along is because you know this to be the absolute opposite of my position. I merely pointed out (how many times does this need to be said, I wonder) that the available statistics are completely contradictory to the assertion found in the report, which in turn was used to support the author's argument.

If there was any correlation happening (and rstuart thinks there wasn't, so it may be moot) it was in the use of the report to support the author's "collapseology" theories. And if there was not, what was the point of referring to it in the first place?

Here's your own contribution on the topic.

>>Did you see where I showed that countries with low population growth grew gdp per capita faster than high pop growth countries<<

Are you by any chance drawing an inference here? No faux-indignation about causation and correlation there, eh.

And you must be proud of this parting shot.

>>To be honest Pericles, I don't think your response will matter much as I've seen enough of your psychopathological pink bits. Someone has to have the decency to stick a fork in your ar$e and flick you off the hotplate. You're done.<<

Classic. You need to freshen up your insults, Sardine, as well as your comprehension skills.

Incidentally, where's your response to "which part don't you understand"? Too busy composing that scintillating valediction, I guess.

Goodbye.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 1 July 2011 8:28:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
@Pericles: Why you are unable to accept this, is entirely beyond me. Which part of it remains a mystery to you?

You sound surprised we can't get past this. If so this is one thing we agree on. It seems to be such a simple thing and at least by OLO standards both sides have put considerable effort into getting past it.

I don't think putting more effort into it is going to yield anything. We have hit the limitations of what can be achieved on a web forum. That is, at least to me, an interesting thing in itself.

Thanks Pericles, for the considerable time you put into attempting to understand the other side of the debate. Doing so is a virtue rare enough on OLO to be worthy of praise when it is seen.
Posted by rstuart, Friday, 1 July 2011 9:45:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
... and with a theatrical flourish Pericles flounces out of the room/ exit stage right.
Posted by Sardine, Friday, 1 July 2011 9:50:11 AM
That's something of an admission, rstuart.

>>I don't think putting more effort into it is going to yield anything<<

The fact that you consider recognizing the discrepancy requires "more effort" should be of some concern to you. If anything was plainer, more obvious or more crystal-clear, it would leap out from your keyboard and whack you over the head.

Nice try, Sardine.

>>... and with a theatrical flourish Pericles flounces out of the room/ exit stage right.<<

I was under the impression it was you that was leaving.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 1 July 2011 2:31:43 PM
@Pericles: If anything was plainer, more obvious or more crystal-clear, it would leap out from your keyboard and whack you over the head.

Now now. We are currently staring at each others posts and seeing the same thing behind them - an intransigent, stubborn old fart who clearly can't see something as plain as the nose on his face.

For some reason, this has me chuckling to myself. That has to be an improvement on my reaction a few decades ago, which would have more one of frustration and anger. Some things do improve with age.
Posted by rstuart, Friday, 1 July 2011 2:52:15 PM
<Population growth has increased the size of our economy. It has also made Australian residents significantly better off as measured by GDP per capita>

Utter baloney, Pericles; and you know as much. Now, if you could show that people would not have prospered as well without the population growth, you might have something. And I think that the ballooning infrastructure deficits and government debt, and declining housing affordability would suggest that population growth has a downside. I mean, you pop growth people are always telling us how we must save enough for retirement. Have you ever considered that massive infrastructure costs and high house prices could be a significant impediment to this aim?
Posted by Fester, Friday, 1 July 2011 6:31:56 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 11
  7. 12
  8. 13
  9. Page 14
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy