The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An Australian head of state is just part of the reason for an Australian Republic > Comments

An Australian head of state is just part of the reason for an Australian Republic : Comments

By Mike Keating and David Donovan, published 9/6/2011

The reasons for an Australian Republic are manifold, and entwined in notions of sovereignty, equality, national identity and democracy.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
I think the only valid argument I've heard from Monarchists, is the old 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Well this argument could be used for any institution in Australia, and we would not have such things as tax reform, or a whole range of other reforms in this country.

The bottom line is, that Australia no longer has such close ties to the UK, like it or not. Thus, the idea of having a foreigner as our head of state/Queen/King is increasingly unpalatable. One problem is agreeing on a model that will not destabilize Australia in times of crisis. It is easy to claim that Australia has been stable for its history, or that there is no foreseeable crisis ahead, but a knowledge of history allows one to understand that stability in such a rapidly changing world is rare and will not last forever.

I agree that this change needs to be a gradual and inclusive process. We have been debating this since federation, and it is almost time to take our first step. I think that the minimalist model would win in a referendum, and then perhaps over the next 200 years we can debate changing this model to presidential/directly voted/other model of our republic.
Posted by Stezza, Thursday, 9 June 2011 7:53:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Every Australian should have the chance to be President for a day. We could start with the oldest inhabitants and gradually work our way down via a lottery. They could be wheeled around to cut ribbons and shake hands just as well as anyone else, and their minders could carry an MP3 player full of bland general-purpose speeches. The Presidential stipend would make a nice addition to the pension, and unlike the present system we could rest assured that most of the incumbents had done something useful with their lives.
Posted by Jon J, Thursday, 9 June 2011 9:48:00 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The article is useful in that it gives rise to discussion. Unfortunately, it doesn't contribute much to that discussion. For example, the authors tell us that "by the people being at the top of our constitutional tree, we will preserve and strengthen our democratic system of government and ensure its continuing strength and stability".

In a practical sense, what does that actually mean for the Australian people? For once, I agree with the people who constantly knock academics for sitting in their ivory towers, pondering theory without any attachment to reality. What I want to know is: when we become a republic (and I believe it is a matter of 'when', not 'if'), how will my place 'at the top of our constitutional tree' produce real-world outcomes and improve my life as an Australian?

Then there's the assertion that 'A republic will honour our Indigenous heritage and culture with its timeless connection to the Australian land and sea'. How exactly will a republic do this, and what will be its implications? Will the republic acknowledge (non-existent) nationhood prior to British settlement? Will it simply start anew, as a whole new nation, detached from that which has existed since 1901? Again, what differences will I experience as a citizen of this new republic?

I'm certainly not opposed to the notion of a republic, but I do find articles that propose it as a solution to current problems a little bothersome. Particularly when they assure us that 'an Australian head of state is just part of the reason for an Australian Republic', then neglect to tell us in any meaningful way about the other reasons.
Posted by Otokonoko, Thursday, 9 June 2011 10:46:31 PM
Otokonoko, sorry to answer your question with a question, but what do you want from a republic? Are there existing problems that you think a republic will solve? (Thinking out loud now)...if becoming a republic does not significantly change anything, then is this a good or a bad thing...
Posted by Stezza, Friday, 10 June 2011 12:18:43 AM
Good point, Stezza.

>>...if becoming a republic does not significantly change anything, then is this a good or a bad thing...<<

If anyone is looking for our becoming a republic to "solve problems", then they will be disappointed. Which is of course the biggest gun in the monarchists armoury - "there isn't a problem, so don't change anything".

But the same argument could - and should - be used to make the point that if becoming a republic doesn't change anything, why don't we just go ahead and do it? We can then concentrate on the issues of independence and self-esteem that get trodden on when we start looking for concrete rationales, such as economic or security issues.

To me it is a no-brainer. And to the outside world we look more and more ineffectual as the years go by without taking action. Which, given the calibre of our political "leadership", is regrettably an accurate assessment.

But it needn't be.
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 10 June 2011 8:38:57 AM
Oz is only a very small fish in a very large ocean containing many current and potential killer whales. We rely very much on a few big guns for our warm sense of security, whether we like it or not. Punch above our weight? What a warm woolly illusion. We rightly hang on the coat tails of some very generous long term allies, and running away from home to gain "independence", for the sake of some overblown sense of political correctness, is nothing more than "sticking it" to those who have stood by us for the greater part of a century. Who are the principal reliable partners in world stability? UK and US - and they go together like "peas and carrots". A stable world, free of conflict, and therefore no reason to maintain valuable and proven friendships? Someone has very rose coloured glasses. Just who do you think needs who in this still cut-throat world of international politics?

Want your own President to make you feel wanted and respected? Grow up and live in the real world. Small fish, 23 million, vast border, valuable resources. Already having "sovereignty" eroded by stealth, and soft underbelly continuously exposed for all to see. Why not break long standing ties and just run up the "all welcome" sign.

Want to elect a President by national ballot - and what powers is such position to have? Like the US, Head of the Armed Services, Head of Everything? This would be so much more alien to the Oz psyche than what we already have it would be a disaster. And GWBuuuush a good example of possibilities?

At maximum Oz can continue with our elected parliament electing a nominal "figurehead". Rock the boat too hard and it won't just be the current generation who will get wet.
Posted by Saltpetre, Friday, 10 June 2011 10:12:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy