The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Food Wars: Denmark’s War on Marmite > Comments

Food Wars: Denmark’s War on Marmite : Comments

By Binoy Kampmark, published 8/6/2011

Everyone needs a good food war from time to time to keep the fires at home burning

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
what is the update and outcome of the regulation that Dame Judy Dench and Mel Gibson were/have been in the past at least been campaigning against? I have seen things on you tube about it. It probably is what is beng applied here. Mel Gibson's humour came into play when he set up a swat team to enter his home and threaten action.. his punch line when he turns around in his bathrobe is"it's only Vitamin C" (don't quote me - check for yorself -this to other readers - I presume the author of this article is fully aware of what was called, as I recall -CODEX )

I would be interested in knowing what the state is of this situation... It was supposed to become law in April 2011, and it is now past that. This is the second mention I have heard of insane restrictions since April.
Posted by sharan, Wednesday, 8 June 2011 8:27:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...And Australia? Today suspended ALL livestock trade with Indonesia, irrespective of damage that will cause to our own cattle industry and the lives of our cattle producers (and the economy of Australia), a decision based on a moral issue of cruelty in SOME Indonesian abattoirs. How times change!
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 8 June 2011 8:29:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What else do we expect from the home of Hans Christen Anderson, the home of fables and fairy tales? We bought the last one (AGW) didn’t we?

Anyway it’s not about food. The EU will shortly announce the certification of Marmite, Vegemite and Promite as eminently suitable for a variety of industrial applications at five times the current price.

Proposed approvals under EU regulation include:

Packing grease for wind turbine gearboxes
Cattle tick prevention
Sun protection for Africans (it is SPF factor 60 certified)
Pimple cream
Tyrewall renovation for the automotive industry
Fire suppressant for fire extinguishers
Fuel for anaerobic composers
Paint Ball ammunition
Deicer for roads
Stealth Coating for submarines
Non-stick coating for silly political decisions

The further Australia can distance itself from the madness of both the EU and the UN the better.
Posted by spindoc, Wednesday, 8 June 2011 10:51:24 AM
Looking past the lumbering jokes and confected outrage that this issue has inspired (the UK is trying to get grousing about EU regulations recognised as an Olympic sport), there is a vital principle of human rights at stake here: facts must never spoil a good story.

Sorry, everybody. Denmark hasn’t banned Marmite. It does require products like it to be authorised before you can sell them. To get the product authorised, you have to apply. That means that the manufacturers have to get out of their own way long enough to fill out an application form.

The manufacturers are doubtless a venerable firm steeped in British history, established about the time that Chaucer was born and probably in the house next to his.

They’re called Unilever. Their working day, I’m sure, starts with a rousing chorus of ‘Ilkley Moor Ba T’at’ and the accounts section milks all the firm’s cows before settling down to work at tall desks, each equipped with steel-nibbed pens and inkwells.

If the Pommy press couldn’t write stories like this, they’d have to go out and look for some actual news. Why it’s getting a run on an Australian website is a question for another day.
Posted by DNB, Wednesday, 8 June 2011 10:56:18 AM
I am sure that Prince Frederik and Princess Mary would have sampled our own VEGEMITE on their visits to Australia. Let Kraft push our goodies in Copenhagen or we should their hams and biscuits here.
Posted by Vioetbou, Monday, 13 June 2011 10:45:09 PM
I am sure that Prince Frederik and Princess Mary would have sampled our own VEGEMITE on their visits to Australia. Let Kraft push our goodies in Copenhagen or we should ban their hams and biscuits here.
Posted by Vioetbou, Monday, 13 June 2011 10:48:22 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy