The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A meal to die for? > Comments

A meal to die for? : Comments

By Monika Merkes, published 6/6/2011

What is in your hamburger and will it kill you?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I believe that you weren't too fond of meat to begin with. Thats fair enough. However the list of things you have compiled for this article reads like the result of a 1hr google seach to find stuff to scare yourself. You complain about bacterial infections, and then about antibiotics, and then about antibiotic resistance (I'll ignore the irrelevant parts about poo eating). However you seem not to understand why these practices are performed, and the antibiotic/resistance problem we face with human populations. Further, if you wish to be a vegetarian/anti-meat you should start by describing the real benefits of reducing meat consumption, rather than touting irrelevant scare stories.
Posted by Stezza, Monday, 6 June 2011 11:07:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Neither is the answer to become a vegetarian or a consumer of so called organic food. The E.Coli outbreak in Germany is testimony to that. Poorly composted materials used as fertiliser in the growth of organic vegetables can also contain high levels of E.Coli.

Be careful out there.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Monday, 6 June 2011 12:27:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm rather interested in the processes behind what I eat, but find this article a little too alarmist. At the end of the day, the vast majority of Australians eat meat and, I'd hazard a guess, the vast majority buy that meat in a supermarket. Strangely enough, few of us will die of illnesses brought about by that meat consumption. I take some comfort in that, and continue to eat meat.

Like many people, I make some token gestures. I buy free range chicken and try to avoid grain-fed beef, largely because I was disturbed by visits to a feedlot when I was younger and more impressionable. I didn't like what I saw - not because I was scared for my health, but because I felt sorry for the cattle. The habit has lived on.

My point, which I am reaching in a roundabout way, is that we all make choices about what we eat and, in Australia, we're lucky enough to have some fairly stringent laws to protect us. I'm sure there's plenty of room for improvement, but I have lived in (and visited) countries that make our systems look first-rate. Maybe my next steak will infect me. Maybe, by going for the fish instead, I'll get food poisoning. Maybe I'll be infected with E. Coli after eating some dodgy vegetables. At the end of the day, I could abstain from all foods, but that wouldn't get me far.
Posted by Otokonoko, Monday, 6 June 2011 11:24:14 PM
Well, stay away from the beansprouts, apparently.
Posted by Clownfish, Tuesday, 7 June 2011 10:00:55 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy