The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Runaway colonel puts Fiji in focus > Comments

Runaway colonel puts Fiji in focus : Comments

By Kevin Childs, published 25/5/2011

Fiji is no holiday for those who live there and should therefore be avoided by those who don't.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
I agree. Why doesn't the Gillard government ban travel to Fiji?
You would think it would be a relatively easy way to put a stop to Banana-rama's antics.
People who travel to Fiji are propping up this nasty little dictatorship.
Posted by Bronte, Wednesday, 25 May 2011 8:28:52 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
They did... what?

"From 1967 to 1974 Greece was under the boot of Army colonels after a coup. The British were then asked to boycott Greek products and not to holiday in Greece."

Fascinating. I was living in the UK at the time, and cannot recall any such request. At that time as well, Britons couldn't take more than Stg50 each out of the country, so cheap holiday destinations were the go - I recall a blissful fortnight in Paxos, not a Colonel to be seen. And certainly no hint of a "boycott".

I wonder who asked for it?

As for a government deciding on our behalf which holiday destinations are politically correct, would be a pretty challenging task. You'd have more opinions on whose regime was on the nose than you could usefully take on board.

I'd suggest that people old enough to take holidays are also old enough to make up their own minds about the places they'd like to visit.
Posted by Pericles, Wednesday, 25 May 2011 9:18:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy