The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The depression industry in the age of depression > Comments

The depression industry in the age of depression : Comments

By Dianna Kenny, published 16/5/2011

The most recent studies estimate that 40% of the community is depressed! How can this be?

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
so now it's 40% of the whole population that can be 'depressed' at any one time. it depends on how you define that word, and sometimes i wonder whether it's become another weasel word for 'unhappy' as if we'd better get busy being happy or else depression is lying in wait for us.

maybe depression is just another human emotion that's a bit awkward to deal with in a society where everyone seems to be egregiously gregariously extroverted party animals continuously looking for a fun time. it needn't lead to suicide or murder.

"Don't worry, be happy."
Posted by SHRODE, Monday, 16 May 2011 1:23:55 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh dear, Dianna, yet another minion of the State.
Though you think you're taking a maverick stance in your exposition of the over-diagnoses of depression, and mental illness generally--ooh ah--and concomitant exploitation by the pharmaceutical industry, you completely overlook the more fundamental question as to "why" the incidence of mental illness is so high and climbing. You just put it down to entrepreneurialism; the depression industry is propagating its own market, manufacturing its own monopoly. Certainly there's plenty of that going on, but what about the genuine underlying climb in the incidence of mental illness? Why are people so unhappy when they live in a first-world consumer paradise?
Let's analyse more guinea pigs to find the answer, right?
Ever heard of the sick building syndrome?
If we have mental illness running at 40%, or even 20%, why are we analysing and treating individuals--duh?
Gee, it couldn't be something wrong with the culture could it?
Perish the thought! We're just suckers for prozac and big Macs and can't resist the marketing---what else could it be!
Posted by Squeers, Monday, 16 May 2011 7:33:37 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excuse my cynicism, but Dr Dianna Kenny (the author) is Professor of Psychology at The University of Sydney, and thus would naturally champion the cause of psychotherapy etc, as opposed to the prescribing of antidepressant, anti-anxiety or anti-psychotic medications for depressive disorders.

Psychologists cannot order prescription medications for their clients because they are not medically trained doctors.
Psychiatrists are trained as medical practitioners first, and then as psychiatrists, and thus can prescribe medications.

Of course, the use of both psychotherapy and medications can help people with depression, however, there are many people who cannot afford both of these treatments for any length of time.
Unless they have private health cover.

Medications needed for depression are subsidized by the government, but therapy is not (after the first free six sessions).

Most people on medicare will go for the medications, or they will suffer on, like they did in the 'old days', when we didn't seem to have much depression in the community... or did we?
Posted by suzeonline, Tuesday, 17 May 2011 12:20:12 AM
trhe government is continually causing misery in the lives of others i am on an invalid pension because of chronic depression but i could be ok and working if i could just get the amphetamine that cures my depression but no some one who knows better than me in Canberra won't allow that .WELL once you realize your right to happiness is owned by others AND WILL ALWAYS BE DENIED TO YOU WHY WOULDN'T YOU BE DEPRESSED.WE NEED TO TRY THESE PEOPLE FROR WAR CRIMES AGAINST US WITH THEIR PATHETIC DRUG WAR ON THE PEOPLE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO SERVE.
Posted by motorcyclemessiah, Tuesday, 17 May 2011 4:09:25 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Thanks for highlighting this issue Diana. I believe it's related to a lot of things happening in our competetive consumer society, which is becoming more so. More aged (poeple over 50 generally get more 'grumpy'); computers in the living room are also a big factor. It's worth remembering that anxiety and obsession are related to depression.

I was told by phamarcists and some doctors that I would have to stay on a serontonin uptake inhibitor they prescribed for the rest of my life - no evidence as to why. I think their main motive is making money; handy little donation of $30 per month for the script. Yes they have use for severe / acute cases but are definately overprescribed.

I don't take anything now (no problems stopping) but make sure I get plenty of exercise, do things I like and get out to meet people; i.e. decide to live a more joyful life.
Posted by Roses1, Tuesday, 17 May 2011 11:16:39 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy