The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Invisible innocence: it happens here too > Comments

Invisible innocence: it happens here too : Comments

By Lynne Weathered, published 13/5/2011

Sometimes Justice is so blind that the wrong person goes to jail, yet some are rescued.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
no one knows what percentage of those behind bars are truly guilty of the crimes they have been sentenced for, so it's important to prioritise DNA testing to keep the right people in and get the innocent out - if we care anything about justice. One day it could happen to you, or a loved one, and then you'd know how it feels to be a victim of the system instead of a beneficiary.

Does anyone remember Cornelia Rau?
Posted by SHRODE, Friday, 13 May 2011 8:11:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, SHRODE, I remember Cornelia Rau.

She was a German citizen who refused to reveal her true identity to Australian authorities and in consequence was detained.

She was never convicted of anything related to this event, let alone wrongly convicted. All she had to have done was to have revealed her true identity and she would not have been detained.

Her case is irrelevant to the issue of wrongful convictions.
Posted by L.B.Loveday, Friday, 13 May 2011 8:43:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
yes, L.B. Loveday, you're quite right, Ms Rau's case is irrelevant in this instance, I stand corrected, thank you.
Posted by SHRODE, Friday, 13 May 2011 9:38:07 AM
Our Justice system is broken, there is no getting around that. The problem is that it was built broken to begin with. Wrongful convictions occur with suprising regularity, but it is not only convictions. Family law is a mess, civil law is insane and laws governing the running of the government move slower than glaciers.

Can we fix some if not all of the breaks, yes, will it take a long time - definately! I don't mind saying that the guys from the Inocence Project are some of my personal heroes, we need much more like them.
Posted by Arthur N, Friday, 13 May 2011 10:03:40 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
As one who's been through the system, interesting read.
DNA wasn't around when I bit the dust, and had it been, probably wouldn't have helped because I contributed greatly to my precdicament.
What still angers though is the terrific lengths the Police were prepared to go to - despite the strength of their case - to ensure a conviction.
No-one, unless you've been there, could understand the feelings of consuming helplessness and bitterness when subjected to verballing, i.e., the practice by Poilice of outright evidential lying.
What horrified me at the time was that everyone, from the judge down, knew it was happening and no-one would, or could, do anything about it.
Whilst inside, heard some dreadful tales of injustice.
In all probability, some of them had to be true.
Posted by Lezza, Friday, 13 May 2011 11:02:47 AM
An amazing program. I am sure it will help a lot of innocent people. And fantastic of all those to give their time. Sometimes the human race CAN actually be compassionate.
Posted by jml1967, Friday, 13 May 2011 11:58:58 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy