The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Single mothers and the budget > Comments

Single mothers and the budget : Comments

By Marie Coleman, published 11/5/2011

We should devise policies that enable single mothers, and most importantly, which avoid stigmatising these women.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
"We have reached a point where publicly expressed social attitudes towards 'sole parents' are curiously reminiscent of the negative stereotypes of unwed mothers of the 1930's and 1940's through to the 1970's"

I don't think that's true at all. We can only live in hope though. Children from single parents do worse by virtually all social indicators. Making single parenthood a lifestyle choice has done enormous damage to our society.

The single parent agenda has really just been one great big transfer of wealth from men to women. Now women can just decide to 'move on' with their lives because their 'ex' and the state will have to support them. It's all about 'choice' - so long as you are a woman.
Posted by dane, Wednesday, 11 May 2011 4:49:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
“The program seemingly has no focus on the fathers (some of whom, of course, may not be teens).”

I’m sure the boys are fine paying child support out of their dole or from their pocket money.

“…who regard pregnancy as a means of escaping from school or dull work, or irritating families.”

And these young mums who didn’t want to go to school will do what to avoid this:

“… required to attend compulsory support and engagement interviews with Centrelink until they complete Year 12 or equivalent, or until the youngest child turns six.”

Same as they did the first time I imagine. And many who had an “accident” and weren’t avoiding anything will probably consider it too. Is this a policy to increase the population again?

'They' want babies at the age of one year old shoved into daycare with strangers, anyone understand what being institutionalised at that particular age does to a child? Or any idea what it does to a young mum and child when they are separated under any type of threat (poverty being a damn good one)… I suppose we will find out now.

What do you reckon Dane, should they have to put them in daycare or will the dads look after them while the teen mums attend school?
Posted by Jewely, Wednesday, 11 May 2011 6:11:03 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Sorry "Marie Coleman" Stopping breading mothers will help this situation of over-population, which if infrastructural climate is not compatible for Job offerings, the siblings labour, will be pointless.

This years, a record number of students are hitting the work force.............tell me, Where are they going to go?

What our pollies are doing, is to try and keep up with others, well out of their league. I've always said....Smaller and smarter.........or nots all well, with biting off more than one can chew:)

Ok! I can here you now......We have the right to breed:) and yes you have.........but while Jobs and the numbers wont fill, the encouragement for off-spring at this time, well.........you do the maths.

LEA
Posted by Quantumleap, Wednesday, 11 May 2011 9:56:15 PM
I agree totally with the author.
We can't lump all 'single mothers' in the one basket and have a one size fits all policy, because not all single mothers are uneducated or unemployable.

If we are going to target single teen parents, then I hope we target BOTH the mother and the father. If both these parents are supposed to have a 50% say in their child's upbringing, then the consequences or results of having a child in your teens should be equally shared amongst both parents.

If this does not happen, then the policy is a very sexist policy from some old-fashioned old male politicians, aimed at 'punishing' all the 'naughty girls' who didn't marry or stay with the father of their children.
Posted by suzeonline, Thursday, 12 May 2011 1:10:46 AM
'punishing' all the 'naughty girls' who didn't marry or stay with the father of their children......Well! No-one wants to clam responsibility for there actions.......How human:) True, I want a five year on, for breeding, if you can afford it,and A one years with full Gov's entitlements.

I dont know whats wrong with my maths, but the more people we have, the more the problems grow.

7 billion.........and counting.

Training what we have makes good sense....

LEA
Posted by Quantumleap, Thursday, 12 May 2011 3:12:36 AM
If many of those women who got pregnant were allowed to have an abortion then most would take the opportunity to save themselves & the poor children from having this life of misery & stigma. I challenge those anti-abortionist to forfeit their taxpayer funded cushy positions & give to those who need to provide due to an unplanned accident. After all, they're the ones who are the cause of much the misery their targets are forced to live in.
Posted by individual, Thursday, 12 May 2011 3:42:51 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy