The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > ‘Resilience’: what's in a word? > Comments

‘Resilience’: what's in a word? : Comments

By Chris James, published 29/4/2011

‘Resilience’ as an expectation can be dangerously constraining and stressful lengthening the time of resolution.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
"Non-Resilience" in capitalism speak is equivalent to the white feather handed out to those who objected to war.

You may be spending you time doing volunteer work, creating works of art, raising children or other unpaid endeavors, but if none of it results in dollar profits, you are a bludger, a parasite. Such are the limitations of valuing the dollar above all else.
Posted by Ammonite, Friday, 29 April 2011 9:10:39 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Overusing a word can often change its meaning in the broader social sense. Resilience is a word bandied about now to ensure conformity to a changing world that might not always sit well with the commoners especially if it means jobs and industries lost overseas, forced trade agreements that foster poverty, and the false notion that rationalisation, profit incentives and free markets are the only options 'going forward'.

I much prefer resistance to resilience as a response to some changes particularly if the benefits are for a select few over the wellbeing of the many.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 29 April 2011 9:33:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Resilience is so overworked as a word that it can resonate on many different levels. As the ageing parent carer of a person with a disability who is completely dependent upon me, I respond to the statement: People who have resilience can easily be burdened with responsibility when often events are not their fault. Because there exists nowhere in the Australian context for my dependent person to live other than with me, I also like the statement: Resilience has the tendency of allowing those with responsibility to abrogate that role.
Posted by estelles, Friday, 29 April 2011 9:42:17 AM
estelles,
one just has to look how resilient Australians have become with incompetence in the Public Service. They keep giving these incompetents top positions time after time.
Posted by individual, Sunday, 1 May 2011 9:52:52 AM
words must be read in their context

who is using the word
to avoid say what 'other words'

why that word
following the other key-words

and why would a pretty thing like you..put so much effort into researching out the histry of one word..unless someone used that word to injure you..or offerd it as a remedy

im noting we all have a tendancy to use big words
to explain the meaning of the spin words

[and use block style script to cover over
uncertainties we might feel regarding the topic]

its like hiding poisen..[ok medi-sin]..
in a lump of camoflage..[ok sugger coating]

noting the small print
allways hides the biggest hurt
the more its lumped and clumped..the more
its going to come back
and bite us

anyhow still trying to find the spark
that set off all your research...
[can i just presume its 'partner issues'..]..and move on...

[no i guess not]..sorry about the grumption/presumption

anyhow for me resiliance..is an ability to bounce back

[bra's have resiliant qualities]...
but the active part..of the noun
is more than the quality..[resiliance]

so using it in a sentance
i admire your resiliance

ie you bounce back
letting me do it again and again and again
your so resiliant..

but then remember it depends
on who is saying..in what cirumstances..about what specific thing

anyhow im not that resiliant
[im not flexable..in-flexable]
will try to read your research..re resiliance

but what main point
inspired all this work?
Posted by one under god, Monday, 2 May 2011 8:17:27 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy