The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > This man is our problem, not Britain's > Comments

This man is our problem, not Britain's : Comments

By Richard Laidlaw, published 19/4/2011

Clifford Tucker is naturalised in all but form - it is too late to deport him.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Periciles,
I think the law is that the person must be convicted of a crime and sentenced to 2 years jail, at least, and yes we do deport a few.

Only some unusual cases get media attention. Robert jocivic was similar and an habitual criminal, but he eventually won because Labor, in opposition, kicked up a hell of a stink. He is here somewhere

My question is why did the deportation for both not happen years ago?
They both are habitual criminals. Maybe a liason problem between the state end feds.

Another unusual one I recall was about a bloke that was jailed for drug dealing and was to be deported. At his appeal it was revealed that he had fathered a child while here and the court ruled in his favour because his deportation may cause stress for the child.

Our justice system is far too lienient, would not be surprised if we pick up the cost of Clifords return fare.

Yet seems tough in other instances. A UK couple, visa overstayers, were deported after being here about 30 years and had set up a small business in South Sydney. They were contributing to society and were highly thought of in their suburb because of voluntary work, etc. But out they go.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 12:07:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I find Robert Laidlow's attitude to protecting the welfare of foreign born criminals to be utterly astonishing. Not only do some citizens of Australia think more about the welfare of foreigners than they do their own citizens, Robert Laidlow takes it one further and defends the interests of foreign criminals at the expense of their victims.

Where do these loonies come from?

Crime is a growth industry in Australia, and much of it is ethnic related. Cabramatta is the heroin capitol of Australia, and according to the NSW Bureau of Crime Statistics, 55% of the handgun murders in the entire state of NSW occur within the boundaries of two notorious ethnic ghettoes.

The costs of crime are stagggering. The Attorney General in 1990 calculated the cost of crime at $18 billion per year. That is money redirected from schools, infrastructure, hospitals, welfare, and scientific research, to finance prisons, security guards, police, the judiciary,drug rehabilitation, and a host of expensive and largely useless social programs.

The state of NSW has built one university in the last ten years and four new prisons.

It would cost almost nothing to reapraise our immigration program and institute a discriminatory imigration program similar to the Swiss model. A British style ten year probationary period for citizenship wold also pay enormous dividends. For foreign born children, their period of probation should start at age 18. Any serious criminal behaviour in that time and out you go.

As murdered NSW MLA John Newman once remarked about Vietnamese criminals in Cabramatta "The only thing they fear is deportation." Putting some fear into the minds of foreign born criminals looks like poetic justice to me.
Posted by LEGO, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 5:01:37 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Mac:”40 years in the country and couldn't be bothered to take out Australian citizenship(luckily for us). Why did it take so long,that's the real scandal, he should have been given the boot years ago.”

Shouldn’t his parents of done it – or could they do it?

First you need Residency and a sponsor to get that before applying for Citizenship. He can’t of ever collected a benefit without Residency or maybe that rule changed a few times over the years.

Wouldn’t someone of checked paperwork before he got his invite into the prison system?

41 years – I’m surprised Britain will take him since Aussie made him who he is.

Lego at what point do you reckon someone becomes Australian (good or bad) outside of the paperwork?
Posted by Jewely, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 7:34:53 AM
The MAN is THE problem, NOT his location!
Posted by lockhartlofty, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 10:21:13 AM
The man came to this country as a child. He wasn't a criminal then.
And he's lived in this country for 41 years paid his debt to society
for the crimes he committed - by serving his sentences in our jails. He's paid his debt to society, (I would have thought). I simply don't understand how legally he could be deported to another country.
I think this is bureaucracy gone mad - or an Immigration Department that needs looking into. They're obsiously attracting the wrong kind of people on their staff.
Posted by Lexi, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 12:28:49 PM
Jewely,
You said "Lego at what point do you reckon someone becomes Australian (good or bad) outside of the paperwork?"

A person has to be born here or applies for citizenship after being a permanant resident for minimum 4 years. Being resident here for 100 years does not make him a citizen. If he is a UK citizen, the Poms cannot refuse to take him.

You said, on another thread, that the only advantage you could see in becoming a citizen was that you got to vote. Well here is another--- A citizen cannot be deported under any circunstances.

He should have been deported years ago, as should have Robert Jocivic.

We have enough crims of our own, we don't want or need to import them.

Lexi,
We did not make this bloke a crim, he made that choice and let us hope that is the last we see of him.

Don,t you think we should expell any non-citizen crims? I do, they have thumbed their nose at our generosity.
Posted by Banjo, Wednesday, 20 April 2011 4:08:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy