The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > David Cameron's gift of war and racism, to them and us > Comments

David Cameron's gift of war and racism, to them and us : Comments

By John Pilger, published 12/4/2011

Intervention in Libya is the beginning of a war of attrition against the new imperial rival, China.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Rubbish.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Tuesday, 12 April 2011 8:24:07 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is a fact that the US Department Of Offence is the greatest institutional user of high-quality oil on the planet. Without it, the conventional US war machine is just scrap iron.

We are approaching the point of tension between energy security for the Pentagon.... and energy security for the rest of us... no matter where we live.
Posted by Chris Shaw, Carisbrook 3464, Tuesday, 12 April 2011 8:49:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John Pilger,

Thanks for your disclosure of the details on the war in Libya.

Among the questions that your article does not put there is one that interests me.

Why should I as well as all the others who like me are law abiding, comfortably housed, economically secure citizens, worry about what happens in a faraway little part of Africa?

I mean; isn’t that enough that we pay our rates and our taxes?

You are one of us, I believe, and you shouldn’t worry about it at all.
Posted by skeptic, Tuesday, 12 April 2011 10:06:42 AM
The most bizarre twisting of the facts, and rambling conspiracy theory rubbish.

Just to pick out three from this strange article;

i. 'The Euro-American attack on Libya has nothing to do with protecting anyone; only the terminally naive believe such nonsense'

The terminally naive would include the entire UN Security Council who approved a resolution explicitly authorising force? The same council which includes China and Russia?

ii. 'The last US bombing in 1986 managed to kill his adopted daughter.'

Enjoying the Gadaffi Kool-Aid? Gadaffi adopted his 'daughter' posthumously after she had been killed. This Accuracy in Media report nicely summarise the deceit;
http://www.aim.org/aim-column/nbc%E2%80%99s-mitchell-regurgitates-gaddafi-lies/

iii. 'What the US, British and French hope to achieve is the opposite of a people's liberation'

Any evidence whatsoever for this? I am assuming John would prefer the world just stand back and let the blood flow.

Now I am not apologising for US/UK/France, and a debate should be had about circustances in which intervention should occur. But the nasty character attacks here are totally undeserved and I believe Cameron, Obama and Sarkozy are acting in a genuine manner with real concern for the people of Libya.

Why does the left continually try to demonise opponents? It is not possible for opponents to be just wrong or mistaken. They must be 'fascist', 'rascist', 'contemptuous', 'cowards', or a 'real canker'.

John offers no solution here, just spews hate at the world.

gw
Posted by gw, Tuesday, 12 April 2011 5:26:44 PM
"The Euro-American attack on Libya has nothing to do with protecting anyone"

The videos of Col Muammar Gaddafi and his son Seif al-Islam ranting about killing many if not most in Benghazi contradict that.
Posted by McReal, Tuesday, 12 April 2011 7:21:30 PM
Gaddafi orders storm of Benghazi as UN meets

'Moamar Gaddafi has told Libyan rebels his armed forces were coming to their capital Benghazi tonight and would not show any mercy to fighters who resisted them.
[snip]
"It's over. We are coming tonight," he said. "You will come out from inside. Prepare yourselves from tonight. We will find you in your closets."

"We are coming tonight... we will have no mercy and no pity with them." '
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/18/3167160.htm

Qaddafi’s son, Saif al-Islam, scoffed at today’s UN Security Council discussions about authorizing a no-fly zone. “It’s too late,” he said in an interview with EuroNews television, according to a transcript on its website. “In 48 hours, we will have finished our military operation. We are at the gates of Benghazi.”
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-03-15/qaddafi-forces-near-benghazi-as-rebel-says-world-failed-us-.html

Gaddafi son: 'We will eradicate them all'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/21/gaddafi-son-muammar-libya

A man who reportedly likes to keep tigers and falcons, "Saif is urbane, charming and psychotic", according to one person who has met him. This appraisal seemed to be confirmed last Sunday night when Saif appeared on domestic television to threaten a civil war in which his father's regime "will fight to the last minute, until the last bullet".
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/feb/27/gaddafi-son-saif-al-islam-profile
Posted by McReal, Tuesday, 12 April 2011 7:35:28 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy