The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Scattered observations from an independent candidate > Comments

Scattered observations from an independent candidate : Comments

By Kellie Tranter, published 1/4/2011

Regular contributor Kellie Tranter won an impressive 20.6 per cent of the vote in Maitland. This is what it looked like from the inside.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
It’s just a job Kellie; even the major parties face a life of compromise. For minor parties it’s just that much more difficult to avoid selling your soul. Sorry, not difficult, impossible.

Minor parties enjoy irrelevance and obscurity. They can spout absolutely any ideological or populist sentiment they like, I’ve even heard them say they represent “the people”.
This only ever changes of course if they become “relevant” and that only ever happens in the event of a hung parliament, otherwise they would not be minor parties would they?

So, on the one hand it’s everyone else’s fault that minor parties don’t get up, dancing girls, lots of money and the media. On the other hand this painful journey towards “relevance” is destroyed upon arrival with the odious option of “compromise”.

The choices are stark, compromise and be part of the mainstream whilst it lasts, or stick with principles and return to obscurity and irrelevance. Are these not the choices face by Windsor, Oakeshot and the odious Willkie? Why anyone in their right minds would actually choose to be an independent is beyond me?
Posted by spindoc, Friday, 1 April 2011 4:45:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Oh My God,

Whinge much Kellie?

If you are that depressed and disgusted after a single election campaign then THANK GOD (and I don't believe in him/her/it) that you didn't get up. How would you have been, if you had actually been called on to serve in trying circumstances, (like the Japanese officials would be currently) rather than merely blather on all high minded. Fallen at the first hurdle, thats how.

I'm actually a 30's bloke, (for a little while yet anyway) but I cannot stand the volunteers who thrust their crap at me on my way to the polling booth. Anyone who hasn't decided how they'e going to vote after months of campaigning, doesn't deserve a vote and the idea that a stiff tart with a flashy pamphlet is the answer is beyond imagining.

Is it not indignity enough, that the candidates are so poor, that I have to be assaulted by the zealous party spruikers thrusting unwanted how-to-vote cards in your face.

20% of the vote, in Maitland? The proverbial dead drovers dog would have polled at least that much in a an election with so little talent, and so much disgust, to go around.
Posted by PaulL, Saturday, 2 April 2011 2:42:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree, the hope of the side DOES spring from Y Gen, Kelly. Most of the others cling like limpets to the major parties in a righteous but sadly misplaced sense of security.
Posted by freddington, Saturday, 2 April 2011 6:02:40 PM
Good try Kellie. With the present political donation system it would be difficult to be elected as an independent.
Welcome back to OLO, the rednecks have had a rest while you have been away.
Posted by Peace, Monday, 4 April 2011 8:26:00 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy