The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > NSW state election: competing interpretations > Comments

NSW state election: competing interpretations : Comments

By John Warhurst, published 30/3/2011

Is the Labor defeat in NSW a harbinger of wider change, or a case of a defeat on local issues unconnected to the national Labor brand?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
brennie,

You're right; I was being a bit unkind to the Greens, but was sort of headlining in hopes of getting some response on the broader issues. Thanks for the diplomatic way you pulled me into line.

I do remember seeing Bob standing not so long ago in the midst of a massive Old Growth Armageddon. A scene of national shame.
Must admit I missed Christine Milne's addressing of the bee situation.

To be fair, I guess Bob's been tied up recently on other pressing matters - like carbon and super profits; fair enough.
It's a bit of a pity though that I have to disagree with him on his approach to both of those matters:
.I don't believe a carbon tax is the right way forward; better to tax us all, increase pensions and minimum wage, set carbon targets, regulate energy prices, and invest in sustainable energy alternatives.
.I believe royalties are the way, and national resources warrant national, not state, royalties - comprehensive uniformity, efficiency, stability; and would sit nicely in COAG's GST/Tax etc allocations, per integrated National/State infrastructure logistics.

I guess people have moved on from unraveling the ins and outs of the NSW election, to focus on what's happening in Canberra, the continuing carbon debate, arguments over super-profits; and of course also on what Barry O'Farrell's going to do now he's got the ball.
So, I guess I'll just have to leave it at that and move on too.

In the meantime I guess our attention is drawn to the middle east; and perhaps to the lousy way the Republicans, and a fair chunk of the US public, are treating the Obama administration - stand up and they want to knock you down, try to improve health care and they just want to find fault instead of a way to iron out the bugs, take a stand on some difficult foreign relations and they question your background, try to sort out the mess left by George W and they blame you for not getting it sorted yesterday. You've got to feel for the guy.
Posted by Saltpetre, Sunday, 3 April 2011 12:24:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy