The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Church and state in NSW > Comments

Church and state in NSW : Comments

By Jennifer Wilson, published 24/3/2011

On the eve of the NSW election, we should take note of the US experience with the religious right and Tea Party movements.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All
So where are all the murders committed by the dangerous Religious Right? I don’t see the point of this article except to promote antichristian intolerance. Let’s not talk about the 100 million-plus dead victims of anti-God communism though. Let’s talk about poor roads and how the Christians are to blame?

“Christian conservatives” according to the leftwing fundamentalist author Jennifer Wilson, “have profound issues with homosexuals, public representations of female sexuality, abortion” and so on, as opposed to Muslims? Are bra-burning feminists screaming moderates? In any case, I like black Christians.

By the way, the doctor doesn’t know what a “neo-con” is. American neo-cons (so-called) are not social conservatives. For example, Cheney is a “neo-con” and pro-gay marriage. Perhaps she was trying to demonise paleo-conservatives but it demonstrates her lack of knowledge and research skills.
Posted by BPT, Thursday, 24 March 2011 8:27:06 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Well, this is an article about the Christian conservatives and the NSW elections, BPT. Of course other fundamentalist movements exist but they aren’t having gatherings at Parliament House on the eve of the elections.

The term neo con did come to be used in terms of foreign policy, however it also refers to those opposed to liberalism. There are concrete connections between the Tea Party, the religious right and neo cons. Philosophically they all share a tendency to see the world in terms of good and evil, and they maintain an us versus them mentality.

Dick Cheney makes an exception for homosexuality because his daughter is gay – on other matters he is in sync with neo conservatism philosophy
Posted by briar rose, Thursday, 24 March 2011 9:36:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Christophopbia is real Briar and denying and or/enabling intolerance is a form of bigotry. Btw, I like conservative Asian Christians too.

Also, Cheney doesn’t believe in "gay marriage" because his daughter is gay. He was being politically correct. There are parents of gay children and gays opposed to gay marriage remember. But again, the author doesn’t know what a neo-conservative is (often code for Jew or Jew lover in leftwing circles).

“My personal fury is provoked almost daily when I risk life and limb on a particularly horrendous stretch of the Pacific Highway that I have to negotiate to get to anywhere from the village in which I live,” sniffs the author. But NSW Labor and federal Labor are in power, not the Pope. Hillsong is not responsible for Labor mismanagement of funds either. It’s about time we stopped excusing leftwing politicians. Using Christians as boxing bags isn’t tolerant.
Posted by BPT, Thursday, 24 March 2011 10:49:38 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The wonderful world of globalisation, neoliberal style. People don't "get it". The state governments don't have the same power or control over things they had thirty years ago, nor does local government or federal government. Since they aren't actually allowed to change anything anymore, they have to make do a small pool of issues involving cultural policing and social surveillancing aimed at snuffing dissent and the memory of what a civil society can be at its best.
This, coupled with the stifling of information flows and the ability to understand news that does filter into this country, has stood testament to our disempowerment, even tho we have never, on the whole, been better off.
The deterioration into vaudeville of Australian politics over the last dozen years really culminated in that buffoonery in Canberra a day or two ago.
These are nutty times.
Posted by paul walter, Thursday, 24 March 2011 11:52:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I basically agree with the contents of this essay.
Re the motivations of right-wing religionists.

Such "religious" propaganda promotes essentially naive infantile and childish world-views which typically are intended to support mostly narrow-minded and generally rather puritanical and moralistic programs for the cultural, social, and political enforcement of conventional ideals of "social morality".

Such "morality" is almost always exclusively to do with sexual and related behaviors, and seldom about cooperation, tolerance, unbounded generosity of Spirit, or good humor.

At their worst they often lead to intolerant and even potentially "fundamentalist" oppressive social and political intentions.

Such tribalistic religions have ALWAYS sought to achieve TOTAL cultural, social and political power to limit and control the minds and lives of ALL of humankind.

When such old-time religions freely exercised such power, in league with the powers that be of their time and place, they were always just as brutal in their actions as any avowedly secular state.

Against both their own citizens ("heretics", witches, deviants, "apostates"), and other cultural groups whether near and up close, in neighboring regions, and of course eventually world-wide.

Onwards christian soldiers forever marching into war, or praise the lord and pass the ammunition.

I would argue that right-wing religionists are very much intent on doing this again. Indeed their publications, both paper and electronic, are full of such self-righteous intentions. This is particularly true of right-wing "catholics".
Posted by Ho Hum, Thursday, 24 March 2011 2:44:24 PM
Yes, Ho Hum, those rightwing Catholics are dangerous. They kill millions everywhere in Australia, and you have the proof in the shoebox under your bed, my guess.

By the way, the Ku Klux Klan was vehemently anti-Catholic too, so you have an ideological ally. The Nazis and Communists (Red Fascists) also hated Catholics. Thanks for unintentionally proving my points.
Posted by BPT, Thursday, 24 March 2011 3:19:17 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy