The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > In defense of the petty thief > Comments

In defense of the petty thief : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 11/2/2011

Being a thief can depend on who you hobnob with.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Please add;

. Set up a charitable (institution) company; suck whatever can be sucked from people sensitive to the disadvantaged and trade on human misery, tax-free.

Well over one hundred billions a year are siphoned from us by the do-gooders and that group of lawyers who specialize in setting up charities.

Then you write: “From a distance we were able to see a bigger picture”. This regarding the inhumane treatment of people in Dickensian times and, I add; for lack of distance we were not able to see what we were doing to the people of this land.

The people you weep for Sir, don’t know what to do with tears, I tell you.

At least they live a less miserable life than the ones who wallow in comfort and make as if the people you well described (among which the majority of Aborigines are included), deserve what they got.

To test this contention one can dispose of all non-necessary possessions and join with the ones carpeted by the Mubarak-like politicians of our nation.
Posted by skeptic, Friday, 11 February 2011 3:10:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A recession or depression is caused by people being able to take excessive obscene incomes, which causes high prices and costs of goods and services. This also creates a system where the employment is forced down in or near bankruptsy because of the high salaries taken by the CEO's and associated staff. When the wages of the workers are reduced or they are dismissed, they have to do something to attempt to feed their family, keep the home and supply all the escentials of life. The father may understand the problem, but ask the children why some children at school can enjoy nice things, and they cannot. The crimminals, are the people who cause this condition, not the people who carry it out. This condition is caused or allowed to be caused by politicans engrossed in demanding a low top tax.
Posted by merv09, Saturday, 12 February 2011 5:37:42 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Recently I began assisting a friend who feeds the poor and homeless. Each Saturday Bakers Delight in Mentone donate all the left over bakery items at closing time to his coause, then we go to a fruit shop in Mentone and where we collect all the fruit and vegetables which are about to be thrown out. We sought through them to ensure they are still edible. After loading everything into his van I travel with him and help distribute the food to the poor and homeless. What amazed me in doing this is how many of the poor struggle to survive after paying rent and utilities. The homeless people are another are forced to live on the streets or in squats and many of them are families which have been evicted from their homes. If not for people like my friend Bill who gives all of their time in assisting the poor, then the poor would have no other alternitive other than commit crime to survive.
Posted by gypsy, Saturday, 12 February 2011 10:08:49 AM
For many thieves in affluent communities forbidden fruit tastes better than what is gained honestly. As a kid I stole not because I needed to steal but because my nature was corrupt. Many thieves today are not happy to take what they need but must vandalize others property largely due to envy. Making excuses for the inexcusable is a favourite past time of many. Stealing is wrong full stop. If it is food is stolen due to need it is understandable but if for envy it is disgraceful. Australia has multitudes of agencies that give handouts. Once the dole goes on drugs and grog you can still get what you need by legal means.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 12 February 2011 11:23:23 AM
Gypsy:

...Hi; most in these columns you will notice, lack the slightest inclination to acknowledge the desperation associated with poverty. The general consensus herein is “It’s all a fault of their own making”.

...You and I (and your Bill, God bless him) obviously acknowledge a different reality
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 14 February 2011 10:49:34 AM
Diver Dan you are so right. Many who comment in these forums unfortunately fail to see the greater picture. It would appear they have never noticed that not all poor or homeless people are dole bludging, drug addict thieves. I would love to issue them with a challenge to volunteer some of their precious free time and spend a few hours with Bill Nagy or onother like minded person who volunteers his assetts time collecting food and distributing it to the poor and the homeless, then they might understand and change their views as I did.
Gypsy
Posted by gypsy, Tuesday, 15 February 2011 7:45:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy