The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Homeopathy - there’s nothing in it > Comments

Homeopathy - there’s nothing in it : Comments

By Chrys Stevenson, published 11/2/2011

Homeopathy works no better than a placebo, so why is it sold in pharmacies?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. 17
  11. All
The British Royals

Are apparently fans of

Homeopathy
Posted by Shintaro, Friday, 11 February 2011 9:50:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I am in total admiration of the manner in which the pharmaceutical industry has brainwashed the general public to simultaneously believe that i) their products work and ii) other, less "scientific" remedies do not.

But for every "homeopathy doesn't work" story - complete with all the sneers and snide remarks in this little offering - I can counter with "look what pharmaceuticals do".

Let's start with Ritalin:

http://www.ritalindeath.com/

Make no mistake, Ritalin is big business - Novartis doesn't publish up-to-date data, but sales in 2007 were estimated at $375 million.

That's wholesale, of course. And they (and the drug's inventor, Celgene) are vigorously defending their patents so that they can make even more money.

"Experts are worried that many parents and doctors are turning to Ritalin as a quick-fix for behavioral problems, exposing countless children to pill-induced high blood pressure rates, weight loss and even growth retardation."

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1G1-18355499.html

And please, don't get me started on statins.

"Some 13 million Americans take them to reduce their LDL levels. Unfortunately, many are not aware of the adverse side effects that comes from continued use of these drugs. Liver damage, muscle pain, weakness, fatigue and even heart failure are the result of extended use. Statins are notorious for robbing the heart of CoQ10, an important enzyme required for the proper functioning of the heart muscle. Repeated use of statins over time depletes this natural enzyme and leads to a weakened heart that becomes vulnerable to heart attack."

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-dangers-of-statin-drug-use-a119858#ixzz1DbV0P1EC

I don't happen to believe that homeopathy "works as advertised" either. But smug, ain't-I-smart articles like this, which simply take free hits without even an attempt at balance of any kind, are thoroughly annoying and completely unhelpful
Posted by Pericles, Friday, 11 February 2011 10:07:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are many 'Natural' remedies with good medicinal value which are better choices than 'conventional' treatment in some cases or complement them in others. Good examples are chiropractic, acupuncture, massage therapies, dietary and many 'herbal' remedies. Remember - many powerful and widely used medications were 'discovered' in concoctions used in traditional medicine before mass production in Pharmaceutical factories

However I'll agree - there is little 'science' in Homeopathy and I wouldn't recommend it. Haven't tried it myself but my youngest son has - and it did nothing except lighten his wallet.

Bit of background - said offspring suffered near fatal viral illness leaving him with multiple after effects, most serious being chronic fatigue and gastro-intestinal problems including food allergies and sensitivities. Following discharge from hospital (weighing 57kgs - at 6ft2) advised "Can't do anything more for him. Just needs rest and feeding up." He tried many 'natural therapies' since 'conventional' medicines only approach was - "Take these anti-depressants. You'll feel better" FAIL!

Best results came from a Naturopath, also a 'conventional' Pharmacist, whose potions, supplements and dietary advice did much to restore a degree of well being. The following 'therapies' were, in my opinion, pretty much rip-offs: Reiki, Homeopathy, Light Saunas and one or two others I can't remember ....

Having said that, as much as we are the same, we are different. We suffer the same conditions and diseases with varying symptoms and degrees of severity and respond diversely to medications used in treatment.
It's possible the most 'unscientific' approaches work for some individuals even if only via psychosomatic effect. Otherwise it's difficult to explain how these practitioners remain?? (But then I say that about whacky religious cults ...)

Each to his/her own! - Every adult has the right to undertake the course of health care they believe in.
Provided accurate and truthful information about their diagnosis, treatment options and pros and cons have been provided, it is ultimately their responsibility to choose the method and accept the outcome. Malpractice excluded.
Posted by divine_msn, Friday, 11 February 2011 11:35:17 AM
Pericles,

The reason most of these remedies are not regulated is precisely because they have little or no active ingredient.

For someone with high cholesterol the choice is to take statins to reduce the levels of LDL or die. The side effects for 99% are negligible. While most drugs have some side effects, for the conditions they are prescribed, the good vastly outweighs the bad.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Friday, 11 February 2011 11:59:38 AM
Ok, let me be the only person who actually knows what homeopathy actually is to help explain it to you all.

The practice is, essentially, nothing more than a primitive form of vaccination or drug therapy, on the basis of treating symptoms with symptom-catalysts in small doses to stimulate the immune system.

What that means is that if I had a runny nose, I would go to a homeopath that would make me take drugs that would give me a runny nose (that the homeopath ASSUMES is the cause of my runny nose), until my immune system made me immune to whatever substance I have been taking (Assuming that it was the same substance that had been causing my runny nose before).

The main obvious forms of criticism is that it is clearly useless for non-pathogenic illnesses, such as viruses or cancers, as it only, allegedly treats symptoms.
The second is that many homeopaths use contentious methods such as water contaminated with the pathogenic solution have little evidence of working.

That aside, I really don't see why this is a big deal if chemists stock homeopathic products.
If people want to medicate themselves that way (especially those whose only alternatives are a dangerous specific drug, or cold turkey), certainly it is no more risky than any normal options.
Posted by King Hazza, Friday, 11 February 2011 12:16:36 PM
The worst thing about Homeopathy only becomes obvious when your wife believes, & you don't.

It's a bit like all those books, "How to become a millionaire in seven & a half minutes" for example.

Is there a homeopathic cure for addiction?
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 11 February 2011 12:55:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 15
  9. 16
  10. 17
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy