The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > An end to Special Religious Education in public schools > Comments

An end to Special Religious Education in public schools : Comments

By Glen Coulton, published 15/12/2010

Only in Special Religious Education classes are teachers allowed to exhort students to believe baseless 'truths'.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All
Fine well stop teaching kids the adult fairytale of the big bang, sex education without morals and bring back some proper discipline.
Posted by runner, Friday, 17 December 2010 10:39:52 AM

I agree !! Really!

The Big Bang is just one hypothesis of many including the possibility the Universe is self-replicating.

Sex Education does require ethical and moral teaching of it, as well as morality around sexuality, including self-discipline, of course.

But this was unnecessary - ""It is akin to child abuse to allow secularist to impose their lack of morals on children 6 hours a day.""
Posted by McReal, Friday, 17 December 2010 11:41:00 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
After 11 years K to 4th form at catholic schools in the 1950's-60's. That in its self is an experience no child should miss. I remember at catholic school in 3rd class I learned from Sister Mary such facts as "all Protestants will burn in hell, including the Queen of England, so said the Holy Father, and our Holy Father in Rome is never wrong!" Naturally being the good catholic boy I was, as soon as I went to the state high school for 5th and 6th form, when it came to the once a week RE class I went straight to the Congregational, basing my desire for religious education on the fact the best looking chicks in the school were to be found in with the Old Fart in the Congregational class. I recall the Old Fart reading a passage from the Bible where some bloke gave thanks to God by offering a sacrifice of a lamb on the alter. Old Fart wanted to known what we thought, we all suggested we should take a grub from 1st form and sacrifice him in the playground. Old Fart was cold on the idea, anyway the bell went and I had to go to maths class.
Posted by Paul1405, Friday, 17 December 2010 12:10:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree there need to be an end to "special religious education in schools" From what I have seen and heard in primary schools is that many of the volunteers that teach are being allowed to put their own interpretation of religion into it. The fact they are volunteers and do not have training in classroom management, let alone the RI teachers are more or less not answerable to anyone. Professionals do not want to be seen as disagreeing with someone who teaches/ instructs in religion.

Learning about religions and learning a particular religion are two different things.What is occurring in many schools is religions instruction and it is very close to religious indoctrination, in some cases it is the same thing.

There are many variations of the Christian faith and even some of the basics of their doctrine is varied. Maybe Special Religious Education in public schools the volunteer could offer before school, lunch time or after school instructions if the parents/ guardians agree to it.

Other than that during the alloted RI time maybe they could have cultural studies and cover different religions and learn about them this way.
Posted by gothesca, Sunday, 19 December 2010 3:28:29 PM
Excellent article. If the ethics classes are banned by the new "extreme religious right Liberal party" government, all those justifiably offended will just have to go down to their local church and tell the congregation how offended they are and about what a fraud their religious cult beliefs really are. Hows a hundred protesters at St Mary's next Sunday sound?
If the religious cults want to push religion in our state schools on our kids. We will push ethics on the church congregations, only 9% of Australians are gullible enough to go to church, all denominations (ABS)census.
I am sure the churches will be horrified at the adverse publicity. Add that to the pedophile priest problem the churches are repeatedly refusing to do anything about and it should turn the last few remaining descent people completely away from the cults, except for the really decrepit immoral hard core religionist that don't mind child rape by it's clergy!
Lets face it, if you still belong to a religion that does nothing about child raping pedophiles, you have no ethics?
Posted by HFR, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 6:23:09 AM
HFR, there are thousands of Australians who have and do attend Mass regularly, that have had nothing whatsoever to do with some Priests within the catholic church committing crimes of paedophilia.

By not attending masses, or commencing strikes, catholics within Australia would still be unable to place sufficient pressure on the Heirachy to hand over those guilty of paedophilia.

I had given this concept some thought last year myself, however realised that church pew numbers weekly had decreased over the past ten years anyway. Numbers were down when my kids were going through primary school in many churches and the priests were dying out of the system 20 years ago, as were nuns.

It falls back on the police and human rights commissions to gather the evidence and charge all priests [if alive hopefully] for those shocking crimes.
Posted by we are unique, Wednesday, 29 December 2010 11:51:07 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy