The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Escaping irresponsible young males > Comments

Escaping irresponsible young males : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 10/12/2010

The changing nature of our suburbs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I'm trying to find this program talked about with no success so far:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw-act/stopping-youth-crime-american-style/story-e6freuzi-1225969232670
BLAKE spent his childhood on the juvenile justice conveyor belt, rolling in and out of the Children's Court. Behind the faint smile he wears today there's pain - hints of the tortured past that set many young men on similar paths.
Posted by Jewely, Saturday, 11 December 2010 10:03:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen, It is fairly simple to check on the crime statistics. The Australian bureau of statistics has access to crime statistics on line as do the various police forces.
A politician would never claim that crime is falling. There is much more political capital to be made from claiming that crime is out of control and that you will "crack down" on it. Likewise a newspaper or TV will be unlikely to claim that the world is getting safer. Fearmongering is far more likely to sell papers and attract viewers.
Of course there will always be crimes and victims of crime. But there always has been and it is no worse today than in the past.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Sunday, 12 December 2010 1:38:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are as many irresponsible young females as males Brian, many who are disrespectful and ill mannered towards the general public, of any age. However, I come across some beautiful young people males and females under 25 yrs who are genuinely respectful and well mannered to myself and others.

Most people are robbed, return to work, and do not mention the events Rhys, other than to close family and friends.

Anyone kidding themselves about crime in Australia not having risen to a high rate within most states will receive the shock of their lives after becoming a victim for the first time.

I estimate that every second person will become a victim of crime at least once, prior to their 70's, in some way Rhys; if you work or interact with thousands of people regularly, most people are able to share either of the following;

. a break-in at their premises/home/workplace at least once in 18 years.

. a handbag, wallet or purse theft
. a vehicle theft
. an assault[s] without provocation
. road rage or damage to one's own vehicles without provocation
. Online theft & Fraud - this alone within Australia has cost thousands of people a great deal of their money
. vehicle fraud - for those innocents uninsured or purchasing a second hand vehicle privately over the years
. Paper theft/fraud to sieze another person's assets
. Robbed at either ATMs, ticket machines or at one's own vehicle at knifepoint or a simple snatch and run
. Murders of children and adults without provocation

Almost finished a lengthy process regarding a theft.

Send the $%#@@'s to work on either SES Management teams monitored at all times, or force them to join the army, despatching them overseas risking their lives as they have risked their victims and/or taken their victims and families lives
Posted by we are unique, Sunday, 12 December 2010 10:13:43 PM
@ We Are Unique.
The S.E.S are decent people, putting criminals in their organisation would destroy it and unless you're sending an Army out to exterminate another population you need people of good character.
It's quite simple, enforce the law. Governments aren't enforcing the law for the reasons noted above, it has a name, "Anarcho Tyranny".
The government refuses to enforce the laws of the land which creates chaos, good people suffer but when they start to actually do something about crime in their neighbourhood they're ridiculed or punished.
There's nothing new in the way governments operate,it's a type of contrived class warfare, the criminal underclass preys on the working class who usually don't have the means or the unified structures to defend themselves.
When educated and organised middle class people try to intervene in the situation or unify the working class they're punished by the media and they system and branded "extremists", "Far Right" or even "Racists" if they point out certain facts about certain ethnic groups in relation to crime rates.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Monday, 13 December 2010 6:24:46 AM
Increasing inequality is one of the causes of social unrest. We have divided into a society of property speculators, owning a “portfolio” of two or more houses, and those who must rent with no hope of ever saving to buy their own home. Our tax system rewards speculators and forces the rest of us to pay increasing taxes and charges to fund their prosperity.

Population levels which are unsustainable in this country also contribute greatly to social and environmental problems.

Our habits of environmental degradation and pollution have almost ruined this country in little more than 200 years! We are, as individuals and as a society, a part of our environment, and our health will always the health of our environment.

Noise in the suburbs.......I emphasise with the older couple you talk about. I am cursed with above-average hearing and my main problem comes from almost constant building and construction in my suburb (Ascot in Brisbane). Again, our tax system makes it profitable to renovate and enlarge one's house. We now have the biggest houses in the world! Our tax system favours property developers building more and more and more houses as urban sprawl and inner city high-rises blight our formerly beautiful landscape. And still we bring in more immigrants, encourage more births, and build more and more houses – many of which are empty.

The clever country?
Posted by brennie, Monday, 13 December 2010 6:52:29 AM
Time for my two bob's worth. From where I'm sitting, the article is a standard lament for the "good old days", whatever they may have been.

I have a business premises in an industrial area with a lot of residential around it. Prior to that I was in another premises in the same area. A total of six years here so far and the only crime I have seen were a couple of suspected "inside jobs", when one of the other tenants had some plant stolen. I often stay at my business premises at night (I have a small flat I improvised) with my dog and I have never felt threatened by burglary. I rarely lock my vehicles and I often forget to lock the building properly when I'm staying here.

Other than that, the only crime I have experienced was when I was silly enough to leave my cat unlocked on the street at home, allowing someone to lift the couple of items of value that were unsecured - including the $2.50 or so in change. My attitude is that if they were that desperate, good luck to them.

I may have been lucky, but all my life it's been pretty much the same story - I've simply not been a crime victim to any significant degree.

All the stats point to crimes against property falling, crimes against the person plummetting while drug arrests skyrocket.

As a marijuana smoker, I feel far more threatened by the police than I do by criminal individuals.
Posted by Antiseptic, Monday, 13 December 2010 6:54:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy