The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Escaping irresponsible young males > Comments

Escaping irresponsible young males : Comments

By Brian Holden, published 10/12/2010

The changing nature of our suburbs.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Ah yes, it is the fault of the *current* younger generations...it always is.
What you are seeing is the result of growing inequality.
This inequality is largely due to regressive economics and things like the Bogan Bonus which encourages breeding for cash while potentially responsible parents wait for the "right" time to raise a family. Most of my generation have either given up or have already bred...and are stuck in dead-end jobs and declining suburbs as you describe.
It is also an aspect of uncontrolled multiculturalism where "anything goes" has alienated Australians who do think our culture is a valuable worthwhile thing. There seems to be a belief that immigrants have no need whatsoever to understand or avoid offending our culture. Apparently by living here we have no rights to our own cultural values: they are always superseded by the needs of big business and it's need for growth.
So blame the youth is you must, but remember we are the first modern generation to go backwards economically. Secure jobs have been sold overseas for short term profits, new technologies and industries have been ignored by traditional rent-seeking management. The grey ceiling is preventing any real career options for many and the optimism of past decades has been replaced with "too bad...you will have to pay for us instead of achieving any progress".
The media and politicians have spurned progress for what can only be described as pandering to ignorant conservatives.
Then there's the politician led Culture wars...disrespect has been made official!
When older folks start talking of "burning through the kid's inheritance" and preside over a countries decline you can expect a loss of respect. There is a very real perception that "intergenerational theft" has occurred, and some impressive numbers to back this up. Can an entire generation *really* go bad simultaneously without societies help?
Posted by Ozandy, Friday, 10 December 2010 10:14:01 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't believe that young men are any more irresponsible than they have ever been. The fact that old people are fearful of the young is not the fault of the young. It is the result of the influence of the media constantly telling them how dangerous the world is. The reality of course is that crime rates are lower today than they have been for many years and continue to get lower.
I don't believe that young people are any more disrespectful of their elders today than they have ever been. But if they are it is unsurprising when the only time they hear from old people is when they complain about young people and accuse them of being lazy, violent, disrespectful, lacking in values etc.
If your fathers biggest problem in life was that the boy next door played drums then he has certainly had a fairly blessed life.
Perhaps he should have considered double glazing rather than moving house. It would almost certainly have been cheaper.
Posted by Rhys Jones, Friday, 10 December 2010 2:08:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ozandy is an extreamist broadcaster.
I don't see any reason to put a blanket over the youth of today. The ones in trouble could be traced back to home life.
The majority of young people are honest and dillagent to my finding.
The population of AU has grown since my younger days, maybe that is what you can see.
I don't see any reason to say youth of today are programmed to be violent or against law and order.
Posted by 579, Friday, 10 December 2010 2:35:27 PM
Yes, older people often become intolerant of young
people, but it's nothing new:

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for
authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer
rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents,
chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their
legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

[Attributed to Socrates]

"What is happening to our young
people? They disrespect their elders, they disobey their parents. They
ignore the law. They riot in the streets inflamed with wild notions.
Their morals are decaying. What is to become of them?"

[Attributed to Plato]

Maybe people just get grumpy and fearful as they get older.
I'm sometimes annoyed by the drone of my neighbour's
lawnmower at 7am, but I figure it's a case of live
and let live. It's part and parcel of living in
society. If the drummer guy wasn't exceeding permitted
sound levels and he restricted his playing to before
9pm, he has every right to do so.

I'm not a great fan of graffiti either, but I don't find
it offensive and some of it's great art. Billboards
generally annoy me more.

Gated communities are quite sad, aren't they?
Imagine voluntarily locking yourself into the
equivalent of a luxury prison in order to feel
safe. But apparently increasing numbers of
older people are choosing to live that way,
as Mr Holden points out.
Posted by talisman, Friday, 10 December 2010 3:26:34 PM
The amount of violence attributed to young males has to be seen in context, it's all about reproductive rights, believe it or not.
The more young men in society the greater competition for women and the more violence, we've seen this most recently with Indian students.
Students from the subcontinent are notable for several things within the scope of this discussion , their high levels of violence amongst each other, their high rates of offending against women and girls and their over representation as victims of violence.
What's not often mentioned is the massive gender disparity among students from that region, figures of 280 males to every female have been quoted.
We have a number of other chauvinistic cultures and races in this country as well, where women, though present in more or less equal numbers are mostly kept separate from society and from their male counterparts and the young males are out and about competing for the attention of women but, again their unbalancing effect on gender ratios causes friction with other males.
I could sit here and give example after example but the rule of thumb is:
Every time you put more males in a society, even a few thousand more that society becomes more violent and lawless generally.
The question is, If I as a lay person can see this why can't the authorities?
If the authorities are letting large numbers of men, particularly young men into the country then they should be expecting more violence and higher crime rates.
So why do it?
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 10 December 2010 6:55:15 PM
I regularly employee two young males. I don't have any problems with them, and only wish I could employ them permanantly.

Why is it that this author rarely has anything positive to say about the male gendeer.

Is it because of the author's background working in the highly feminist education system?
Posted by vanna, Friday, 10 December 2010 7:58:54 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy