The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > United States v WikiLeaks > Comments

United States v WikiLeaks : Comments

By Jonathan J. Ariel, published 7/12/2010

No member of the public should have to depend on leaks to the media and on whistleblowers to know what their government is up to.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
if Julian Assange is extradited, shackled and orangesuited,to the U.S. to face criminal espionage charges and is found guilty, then freedom of the press means nothing in the U.S. any more and democracy a quaint notion from a bygone era.
Posted by SHRODE, Tuesday, 7 December 2010 7:42:21 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
How can you have freedom of the press when it is stolen material.
Posted by 579, Tuesday, 7 December 2010 7:58:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Explain 579, how is information about the conduct of a public owned entity by the voting public 'stolen'?

If you were a manager of a business, and somebody were conspiring to use research funds to skip the country and buy a house overseas, would you not want to know?
Posted by King Hazza, Tuesday, 7 December 2010 8:38:00 AM
When the truth is a threat to the State then the State is in deep trouble. Indeed.
Our media is not our friend. First the Iraq war BS, now calling to execute folks for showing our "leaders" in the true light.
579. Leaked political material is not stolen, it is a necessary part of democracy. Diplomatic cables are not private, they belong to the state and hence the people. I just love how these people can get upset over "lives at risk" when they are plotting "shock and awe" on civilians and the ruin of entire economies...not to mention the kidnap and torture. The US are not the "good guys" and the leaker's are doing everyone a service by bringing the real story to the surface. Any "collateral damage" is worth it: spin-free truth is just too important.
Posted by Ozandy, Tuesday, 7 December 2010 8:38:28 AM
If Mr Ariel is surprised to be agreeing with
Noam Chomsky about Wikileaks, then I'm
gobsmacked to find myself agreeing with him.

There's a first time for everything, I guess.

I suspect that the Wikileaks controversy may well
generate some interesting ideological alliances as
the saga plays out. We live in interesting times,
as the apocryphal Chinese proverb goes.
Posted by talisman, Tuesday, 7 December 2010 8:44:50 AM
At stake is the liberty and life of a man who is showing us the only way to a true Democracy; Transparence in the administration of our common wealth!

We should defend him with all our power.

But we have no power left. We stupidly voted it to the politicians.
Posted by skeptic, Wednesday, 8 December 2010 3:43:11 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy