The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Family Law Act: too little, too late > Comments

Family Law Act: too little, too late : Comments

By Patricia Merkin, published 7/12/2010

It is likely that child protective amendments to the Family Law Act will be significantly watered down for political motives.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 35
  7. 36
  8. 37
  9. Page 38
  10. 39
  11. 40
  12. 41
  13. 42
  14. All
'septic - self employed. Yes, well anyone who's ever owned a business knows there's turnover, black, costs, living expenses usually squeezed in there, all deducted before tax. Surely you can't be so narrow? as to assume all self-employed people are as apparently 'straight' as you are! They expected you to pay, but obviously? you didn't.
We also now know that you'd rather 99 actual child abusers go about their business without interference, in case one 'innocent' goes free.

WAN - stop whining because your passive/agressive/'motherhood' style wasn't adulated. In fact, you were thanked even though your grasp of our situation seems very limited and sometimes really ridiculous. eg

You're in the car with your child. Suddenly Daddy's on your tail, in his ute, tailgating, pulling alongside, shaking his fist. Do you pull off in a safe place and lock the doors and call for help? Hope someone will come along? You try to keep going til you get somewhere safe. Nerves heightened, fear, the child is screaming. So your solution is to pull off the road, get out the phone and take a photo? A photo will not capture what happened.

Robert - you want independent confirmation of crimes that are almost always committed in secrecy. I don't know how to get that. But just as men want to be heard and believed, so do women and children. Unfortunately the systems used to investigate are understaffed and must fit into the CJS model.

Benk, I do not know of any specific non-custodial groups lobbying. If the non-custodial outcome has happened unfairly, as far as I know the people may try to get help from one of the groups which are mainly run on gender lines - then will no doubt be accused of being gendered, feminist, or MR. The fate of the children gets lost along the way.

and on child support, why is the purpose of child support - supporting your kids, never of interest - it's always about 'the money'? Not saying CS is always fair, but its not fair for many kids and women too.
Posted by Cotter, Wednesday, 5 January 2011 11:05:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
cotter:"anyone who's ever owned a business knows there's turnover, black, costs, living expenses usually squeezed in there, all deducted before tax."

Huh? How am I supposed yo claim living expenses or "black costs" (whatever that is) out of a business contracting to Telstra or out of my current timber business? Do please enlighten us as to the miracles of accounting that might allow that to take place, won't you?

cotter:"We also now know that you'd rather 99 actual child abusers go about their business without interference, in case one 'innocent' goes free."

Oh dear. Unlike you, I think that anybody accused of such things has a right to be treated fairly. Unlike you, I'm not an hysteric who has raised a new generation of hysterics. Unlike you, I don;t make things up to try to get sympathy for a case that doesn;t exist. Unlike you, I don;t support mothers who deliberately create false fear of a loving father in their children.

Unlike you, I am rational.

The rest of your lurid fantasies are a problem for you and the psychologist you obviously desperately need.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 6 January 2011 5:51:15 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Cotter nobody in the right mind would like to see 99 child abusers go about their 'business', but then would someone in their right mind find it acceptable that 99 innocent men are punished on the presumption that they might just get one abuser.

There is a case currently in the news where a man was murdered because of a 'presumption'.
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/police-discount-claims-murdered-man-had-abused-children-20110105-19gax.html

<Her paranoia ''invaded the children's day-to-day lives''.

The children grew to fear their father might kidnap them after their mother kept them at home to prevent their abduction from school.>
http://www.smh.com.au/national/mother-wins-custody-battle-after-terrifying-children-about-father-20110103-19dwr.html

This woman is guilty of domestic violence, yet she still get sole custody of the children and the father is not allowed to see his children or have a relationship with them.

How can you justify that Cotter, ChapZ et al.
Posted by JamesH, Thursday, 6 January 2011 6:53:13 AM
Benk, the main lobbying groups for non-custodial parents, include the Shared Parenting council of Australia, the Lone Fathers Association and a couple of the groups involved with trying to pick up the pieces, like Dads in Distress. There are also a couple of other groups around shared parenting, including Fathers for Equality, which is probably the most well-run.

Unlike the Mother's Rights gropus which are enormously well-funded by Government and have a whole Department to call their own, the groups mentioned above receive little funding. LFAA was given a grant a few years back to be the "peak body" for separated fathers, and they've done some good work. Barry Williams is very sincere and well-organised and has gathered a lot of good people around him.

The SPCA runs a tight ship as well and features many women members, including both mothers and the female relatives of men who have been deprived of their children by the actions of "despicable" (according to the judge) women like cotter's daughter and her friend. I don't believe they receive any govt funding at all.

Dads in Distress have had a long struggle for funding, despite being set up specifically to help suicidal fathers who've been left destitute and without their children by the Family Law and child support system. they received a little money last year, I believe, but were on the edge of closure. they have branches around the country and are largely volunteer.

Fathers for Equality are specifically a lobbying organisation and they don't receive any funding at all to my knowledge.
Posted by Antiseptic, Thursday, 6 January 2011 7:38:55 AM
septic, So, not an embittered old used-car salesman? There's a comma after the noun 'black' - black economy? Personal phonecalls on business phone, special deal from Telstra, nice business car, postage, buying trips away? etc. Things that would not have been available to your lucky ex, unless she was a partner and got her share when she kicked you to the curb in an unwarranted fit of hormonal rage.

Please don't call me 'dear'. It makes my flesh creep.

How many times do you need to hear my practice includes men, women and children? Ignoring it, pretending I'm working for the lying women is selective at best donchafink?

JamesH, Murder is always a terrible crime. Unfortunately the CJS will allow each of the accused many rights (no matter who did what) and the trial - (possibly in separated cases) may not at all be focussed on getting to the truth of what happened to that man - more on the protection of those accused. The victim will be sullied, the jury - if there is one is already being told via the media that he might have been a paedophile, that will no doubt be repeated at trial. That's a common tactic. This murdered man and his family and friends are those scum that septic hates - now part of the victim industry. Hope you can see why his rants quite miss the point. I think there needs to be more balance - and a search for the truth, not the games that go on now.

Re that FL case with Stuart Austin, please know that judges rarely read affidavits, dismiss evidence often defying logic, and the transcripts of cases on Austlii are often 'cleansed'. After years of observing cases in courts, and reading judgements that are different from what went on, watching the media restrictins etc logic, truth and fairness are often hard to find.

The media says the man got a bad deal. Based on that version, if he appeals he would have a good chance of overturning the decision. Appeals are pretty expensive.
Posted by Cotter, Thursday, 6 January 2011 9:52:27 AM
cotter:"Personal phonecalls on business phone"

Actually, I have a capped plan, so it doesn't matter what calls I make. Of course, before that I was raking in the savings - my average phone bill was about $400 and at least $10 of that was personal...

cotter:"special deal from Telstra,"

That must be the $400 a month "special deal" that included the "special privilege" of being charged 3 or 4 timed for the one call, which was replaced by the capped mobile plan from Optus that costs %60. Gee, it's good to be a bloated plutocrat with all that bargaining power...

cotter:"nice business car,"

Do you mean my old van? Nah, that can't be it, you must mean my old truck, since tyou couldn't possibly call the old 4 WD "nice".

All of them, except the van which is now gone, were made in the 80s. the ex drives a 1995 Honda - justas well she doesn't know what she's missing out on, eh?

cotter:"postage"

I haven't sent a personal letter in at least 10 years. You might be surprised to learn that some people manage to coomunicate via other means.

cotter:"buying trips away"

erm...what do you reckon I'd be "buying"? I do like the idea, well done, but I can't for the life of me work out how to get such a thing into play. Perhaps you could enlighten us all, after you explain the miracle of accounting that you mentioned in your last.

cotter:"Please don't call me 'dear'."

Oh don't worry, no one is going to think you're anything but cheap, although not much of a bargain at any price.

cotter:"How many times do you need to hear my practice includes men, women and children?"

I don't care how many times you repeat your fantasies - they're still fantasies. Nasty, misandric fantasies from a nasty, damaged woman who has managed to raise nasty, damaged children. What an achievement.
Posted by Antiseptic, Friday, 7 January 2011 5:56:38 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 35
  7. 36
  8. 37
  9. Page 38
  10. 39
  11. 40
  12. 41