The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > WikiLeaks Arabia: An idea whose time has come > Comments

WikiLeaks Arabia: An idea whose time has come : Comments

By Jonathan J. Ariel, published 3/12/2010

The Wikileaks approach should be extended and applied in places like the Middle East

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
Absolutely right.

The problem is not Wikileaks. The problem is that Wikileaks focuses almost exclusively on just one country.

What the world needs is a truly global Wikileaks that exposes confidential information from all countries to the public view. I'd like to know what power brokers are really thinking in Beijing, Berlin, Brasilia, Damascus, London, Cairo, Djakarta, Moscow, New Delhi, Ryadh, Tehran and Tel Aviv to name but a few.

In fact what's really interesting about these cables is reports about what representatives of other countries have said to the US. I've long suspected that King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia wanted the US to blow away Iran's nuclear program. It's nice to have that confirmed.

The comments of the Spanish prosecutor about Russia being a "virtual mafia state" are also enlightening. He's probably right.

You'll notice I've left Canberra out of my list of capitals. That's because for the moment at any rate I don't think anyone in Canberra actually thinks so there'd be nothing to report.

These leaks must disappoint conspiracy theorists. What they reveal is muddle and fierce debate rather than a plot to run the world. I do not think they will do the US any serious damage. In fact I doubt they'll do any damage at all. I cannot say I am surprised at anything that has been revealed. <ainly they support what I had suspected.
Posted by lentaubman, Friday, 3 December 2010 8:54:25 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The lack of response by the Australian government and mainstream media to the calls by senior US and Canadian political and media figures for Assange's assassination, indicates the moral turpitude into which both have sunk.

By their silence, they are condoning the murderous, savage and barbaric position that death is now a just punishment for dissent and whistle blowing in a democracy.

Assange is an Australian citizen. He is entitled to the protection of his country's government. Instead, Robert McClelland has assured our US allies that this country will provide them with every assistance in their hunt for Assange, and their criminalisation of Wikileaks.

Any politician, human rights commentator, any journalist worth their name who continues to remain silent about these threats to Assange's life is contributing to the construction of a world in which it becomes acceptable for dissent to be punished by death, and for whistleblowers to be hunted down and assassinated.

What is happening in this country, that this can go so unremarked?
Posted by briar rose, Friday, 3 December 2010 9:21:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No argument here.

Wikileaks lives by what information is provided to them they do not seek out information according to the website. The recent leaks are certainly embarrassing for the US but also to others mentioned in the cables.

Having visited the Wikileaks site a number of times since its inception, up until recently much of the information supplied has targetted many other nations without fear of favour. That is the beauty of Wikileaks, it does not censor information unless there is a risk of loss of life. Anyone can support Wikileaks via the link on the website.

The US is a major player on the world stage and the instigator of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan so it is not difficult to understand why much of the material would relate to US diplomacy or war efforts. Yes, greater exposure to information may assist efforts in the Middle East and sort out the spin from the reality.
Posted by pelican, Friday, 3 December 2010 9:30:51 AM
The Labour governement has shown the world it's still keen to be the USA's lap dog. No wonder the leaked cables say they US thinks Australlia is a faithful but useless vassel state.

I didn't vot labour for the first time in my life last election and will never vote for them again they stand for nothing. One nation and greens may have some silly ideas but at least they belive them. Shame Gillard shame.
Posted by cornonacob, Saturday, 4 December 2010 5:53:14 PM
"The Wikileaks approach should be extended and applied in places like the Middle East"

The article is already out of date.

Wikileaks reveals what many of have been banging on about for ages.

"Saudi Arabia funds radical Islam" and that includes the funding of mosques and schools in Western countries,and with the funding comes the 'curriculum' string pulling.

Nuf said.
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Monday, 6 December 2010 7:16:18 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy