The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Gender-based Approach Misses the Mark in Tackling Family Violence > Comments

Gender-based Approach Misses the Mark in Tackling Family Violence : Comments

By Roger Smith, published 25/11/2010

On White Ribbon Day, we condemn violence against women. We should also condemn it against men.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 77
  9. 78
  10. 79
  11. All
'My guess is that those figures correlate pretty closely with men’s tendency (or lack thereof) to report DV incidents to the police'

Or else they think it's ok to slap their wife around a bit. Just a little bit.
Posted by Houellebecq, Thursday, 25 November 2010 9:32:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, I agree with the article in the main.
I abhor all violence from anyone.

I believe that the main reason behind white ribbon day is to advertise the undeniable fact that the vast majority of domestic violence in our world is committed by men towards both men and women.

Domestic violence can and does often involve male family members badly wounding or killing each other.

At the end of the day however, given the undeniable fact that male humans are usually physically stronger than most women and children, the cards are well and truly stacked against them in domestic violence.

There is nothing wrong with bringing this domestic violence problem to the fore.

Ok guys, now start yelling at me for daring to tell the truth - I am off to work.... :)
Posted by suzeonline, Thursday, 25 November 2010 9:34:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I aren't interested in determining the exact proportion of DV aimed at men or women. That debate mainly interests people who use this issue to claim the high moral ground in the battle of the sexes (hi Suze). As long as it is accepted that DV against men often happens and is unacceptable, male victims will be able to get the help that they need.

The more important point that needs to be made is that most DV is reciprocal. For a generation, we have been told that she is the victim and we cannot blame the victim. A large body of evidence suggests that in the real world, there is rarely a clear distinction between victim and villian, so it makes more sense to discuss participants, not victims. Our society has been told that DV is just something that he decides to do. Therefore, all we need to do is to pressure him not to use violence, eg by wearing white ribbons. In reality, DV occurs in the context of couples with disfunctional ways of resolving arguments. It is simplistic to assume that he can just stop and the problem will go away. The couple both need to change the way they resolve arguments. Certainly, she needs to lose the high moral ground, it is just another weapon.

Every white ribbon is a swipe at blokes he may well be a perpetrator of DV, but is also very likely to be a victim.
Posted by benk, Thursday, 25 November 2010 11:10:46 AM
Hooray for White Ribbon Day! In my unit block theres plenty ladies who used to get bashed and flogged by theyr ex's. I woudnt do that myself any man who bashes a girl is scum. My exwife used to slap me sometimes when I went to the pub but i deserved it and it never realy hurt. Why do the same fellas coment all the time about ladies here at Onlinopinoin?
Posted by Huggins, Thursday, 25 November 2010 11:20:03 AM
Suxanonline,

Something not mentioned in the White Ribbon day campaign, is the statistic that about 70% of domestic violence is actually started by the woman.

The White Ribbon campaign is a feminist campaign that hides a lot of information.

Huggins.

Why did you desrve to be hit by your wife?
Posted by vanna, Thursday, 25 November 2010 12:41:24 PM
Hi vana it was times like when I stayed out late and spent all the money on beer and pokies and stuff or when i was drunk and horny. Stuff like that to be honest I was in the wrong and like i said i deserved a slap.

Thats why I think White Ribbon Day is good because some of us men treat our women bad sometimes and God knows we shouldnt
Posted by Huggins, Thursday, 25 November 2010 1:10:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. ...
  8. 77
  9. 78
  10. 79
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy