The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Watson and double jeopardy: where do we stand > Comments

Watson and double jeopardy: where do we stand : Comments

By Greg Barns, published 12/11/2010

Pressure from great and powerful friends is no reason to trash the rule of law.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Same old story, regardless of which political party is in power, when the Yanks say "Jump", the Australian government says "How high?"

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Friday, 12 November 2010 8:47:18 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
its sad to see..the beatups the me-dia..picks-up

what...he's a mate of yours?
clearly he had friends in high places..to only get charged with man-SLAUGHTER...what he did is despicable...killing a bride..for money...setting upa fake marrage..only to get the insurance

the dude needs hanging by his testicles....simply for being a bturd

think of this..he hugs his '..wife'
puts his arms arround her....then slowley turns off the air in herv tank..[this dude is scum]...then holds her while she dies
then throws off her corpse...into the deep

then recalls he forgot to turnback on her air...and all govt can get..is lesds than two year's?

lets look at your CASE

<<That a person...should not>>[ie NOT must not]

<<be tried again for an offence>>this is more than offence[its murder..no time limitations...not offence..criminal act

offence is aa justrice system jailing a druggie for 20 years

<<in respect of which..he or she can been convicted>>>can been..your a writer..cant even write..'be'..or in the same past/present tense?

<<or acquitted..>>...well let the courts determine..if this is fact..or theory

<<The Article 14(7)..of the International Covenant..on Civil and Political Rights is unambiguous. "No-one shall be liable to be tried or punished..again for an offence for which he has already been finally convicted or acquitted in accordance with the law and penal procedure of each country,">>.

ok he has a conviction for manslaughter

HE HAS NEVER BEEN TRIED FOR..MURDER
or FRAUD..ie the life-insurance
or mutilating a corpse

heck...this dude is SCUM
write about real stuff

has this international coven-ant..been ratified..by the courts..here

i certainly havnt had much response to quoting it HERE in court

you lot..of the media..can spin..your spin
but law id a bit more precice..than your c-lap/t-rap

[i think i got the -lap....confused with the -rap]

what..your both masons?
or children..of the same boys club?
Posted by one under god, Friday, 12 November 2010 9:29:42 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A life is worth more than an 18 month sentence and then the getting on with life of the life taker.

In all probability the act was premeditated and deserved many more years than Watson got.

He is an American citizen. He took the life of another American citizen. He should be returned forthwith so that the American justice system can judge him far more appropriately than did the Australian system.
Posted by Ibbit, Friday, 12 November 2010 10:17:05 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
From what I have observed about the death of his wife and his behaviour, he should be retried.
Posted by Chris Lewis, Friday, 12 November 2010 10:25:44 AM
if our Court system was worth a pinch of salt we would not be having this discussion. A life in this country is very cheap.
Posted by runner, Friday, 12 November 2010 10:36:32 AM
Our member, Peter Dutton, has been active in trying to get rid of the double jeopardy protection. He has cited a case where a man has been found not guilty who is apparently guilty of murder. I think we have the double jeopardy provision for good reason. Without it the state can keep trying and retrying a person for the same offense. With it there will be miscarriages of justice. However, I think without there will be greater miscarriages of justice.

Watson seems like a dirty dog. However, a dirty dog is entitled to the same protection under law as anybody else. I do not think he should be extradited to Alabama.
Posted by david f, Friday, 12 November 2010 10:39:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy