The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why backing the favourite can be a high risk strategy > Comments

Why backing the favourite can be a high risk strategy : Comments

By William York, published 9/11/2010

How Sydney lost out to Melbourne by valuing the future more highly than the present.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All
why should Melbourne compete? It's already got the game won:

better planning, better sports, better weather (more sunshine and less rain than Sydney, that's a fact!), better restaurants and sporting facilities, a longer perspective on life than short-term gains, and it's where Australian history really took off with the goldfields and Eureka Stockade.

I've lived and worked in both, and for me, though I love the looks of Sydney, prefer Melbourne: it's got the class without the pretension and kitsch.
Posted by SHRODE, Tuesday, 9 November 2010 8:37:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Superb satire, reaching its apogee in its very last sentence.

Ever willing to uphold the OLO tradition of posting off-topic, I was about to accuse SHRODE of not having actually read the article, and perhaps of even being a closet Mexican (as in 'South of the border, down Mexico way').

Then I saw the extreme subtlety of SHRODE's salute to the satire.

SHRODE, skilfully picking up on the author's airport metaphor with the use of the words "... and [Mexico's] where Australian history really took off with the goldfields and Eureka Stockade", salutes the very apogee of the satire itself!

SHRODE cleverly, without naming him, thereby introduces Henry Samuel Chapman, perhaps more famous as the barrister who successfully defended the Eureka rebels, but also relevantly notable as the inventor of the Australian, or secret, ballot: so notable, in fact, that he has had a society named in his honour, the HS Chapman Society, a society interested in electoral matters. (See: http://bit.ly/bnBZWH )

Brilliantly perceptive, SHRODE, and in such a short post! I wish I was capable of such subtlety and incisiveness.

I think the HS Chapman Society, if a society can be credited with thought, also thinks 'electronics has [already] delivered us a true democracy' in the sense meant by the author.
Posted by Forrest Gumpp, Tuesday, 9 November 2010 11:59:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy