The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Faith and Reason - a book review > Comments

Faith and Reason - a book review : Comments

By Ralph Seccombe, published 28/10/2010

From apostle to apostate - the story of Brian Baker.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
I can relate to that. It should be required reading for all theological students before they decide to commit their lives to the service of their imagined God.
Posted by VK3AUU, Thursday, 28 October 2010 10:30:48 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
That does sound like an interesting read.

For an equally interesting story, but in the opposite direction, you can try Peter Hitchen's tale from Atheism back to Christianity.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1255983/How-I-God-peace-atheist-brother-PETER-HITCHENS-traces-journey-Christianity.html
Posted by rational-debate, Thursday, 28 October 2010 11:57:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm afraid this is classic spiritual sour grapes.

"My marriage failed.. BLAME GOD"

This of course raises the question "to what was Baker converted initially"?

Seems to me it was the "woman" in his life. When she hit the road...he hit the Bible.. not with spiritual love either.

Lashing out at God for marriage breakdown is not a wise course and just makes people uncomfortably cringing about how the person ever got to where they did..

Jesus spoke about this: (Parable of the Sower/Soils)

3"Listen! A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants, so that they did not bear grain. 8Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up, grew and produced a crop, multiplying thirty, sixty, or even a hundred times.

Notice what happened to the seed which fell on rocky ground ? (v 6)
Posted by ALGOREisRICH, Thursday, 28 October 2010 7:05:03 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Notice what happened to the seed which fell on rocky ground ? (v 6)"
-ALGOetc.

They withered 'coz they couldn't get a root. There, but for the grace of Flying Spaghetti Monster, go I.

"I'm afraid this is classic spiritual sour grapes."
-ALGOetc.

Fail. This is a classic case of a man attaining maturity and realising that fairy-tales are for children. Maybe, Al, you too will one day attain maturity.

"Lashing out at God for marriage breakdown is not a wise course"
-ALGOetc.

Possibly the wisest words you've ever written - lashing out at God is futile, 'coz God is not real. Huzzah! for Mr. Baker for realising the bleeding obvious and selling a book about it to boot, and may Flying Spaghetti Monster help folk like Al to also realise the bleeding obvious.
Posted by Riz, Thursday, 28 October 2010 8:54:39 PM
The writer needs to grow up and take responsibility for his own life and trust God and his infallible Word not fallible man. No man can take away my personal walk with the Lord. Only I can fail to guard my heart.
All men including myself are fallible none are perfect as Jesus is and as he came to save our soul (mind, will, intellect, and emotions, not the bottom of our foot) only a fool would lean on his own understanding. Life wasn't meant to be easy as Malcolm said so wise up and do not blame God for the bad that happens in your life. God is good.
You can gamble with random chance but I will take the intelligent design road. As hot gives to cold the greater blesses the lesser not vice versa .For if man created God who created life as man certainly can not with all his superior intellect and scientific knowledge and opinion.
Posted by Richie 10, Friday, 29 October 2010 2:23:26 AM
Every body wants to use reason to either prove or disprove the existence of The Beautiful Room of Perfect Space (God). And of course whether Christianity in particular, is in any sense true - which it is not.

Right ring religionists publish books with titles such as Faith & Reason (a real clunker) and have websites titled Let Us Reason, Stand To Reason, Reasonable "Faith". And of course that chap who lives in Rome, you know the one that likes wearing clown costumes and silly hats, is also big on reason too.

Atheists and secularists also like to use reason too. A notable case is Sam Harris and his Reason Project. Sam has done an excellent job in criticizing and debunking right-wing religiosity, especially in the USA. He is of course vehemently and rightly critical of the toxic elements of medieval Islam-ISM

Never mind that if you really used reason to thoroughly examine the various ""truth" claims of the Christian religion, and thus fully and honestly accepted reasons (and histories) evidence, you would have to throw it all away with both hands.

Of course Christians then resort to the intellectually dishonest stance of relying on "faith" - "faith" that what the Bible and history says is true, that the Bible is the word-of-"God", and that "jesus" really rose-from-the-dead (which is of course humbug).

Never mind that the Bible is essentially a fabricated crock of lies created by the church "fathers" to consolidate their worldly power. As is much of Christian his-story.

That having being said, yesterday I came across a new book by Tony Bushby titled The Christ Scandal published by Stanford House. Tony has obviously done his home work. It is thoroughly researched.

Add this new book to his previous books, especially The Criminal History of the Papacy and one can find all the REASONS established by the method of reason to throw it (christian-ISM) all away.
Posted by Ho Hum, Friday, 29 October 2010 10:07:32 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy